Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Baseball Question

The more I thought about it, I decided I would wait and see if they appealed, then call out on the appeal....

BUT.....

Chances are with only a 2 man crew, neither ump would even know is he left early or not, Especially if the fly ball was to left, that would load each ump with about 3 jobs, tagging being last on the lists...Any ump would act like he knew whether or not he left on time, but money says he doesn't....Hard to cover a field that well with 2 men...
    Need A Penny? Take A Penny...Need 2 Pennies? Get A Job!!!
    [img]http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/College/Football/james-davis-GI.jpg[/img]

Yes. If the crew sees this, they make the easy call. If not and they are looking elsewhere, you might as well flip a coin.

Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would have to..you can't score without tagging up, the runner (legally) would still be in play. Unless they were called out for leaving the path. </div></div>

Without an appeal you sure can score for a missed bag. In any case it is an interesting situation that I will bring up to some of the Umps I know (I am a bit disapointed that none of the local refs on this board have said anything yet)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont think you could take the run off the board without the appeal. As for seeing it in a two man crew, that would need to be the plate umps call I believe. He could get in a good position to see the catch and tag in most situations to leftfield. I may be wrong on my mechanics but I think that is right.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you are right stripes, it everything over there would belong to the plate ump, and 99% percent would just be watching the left fielder make the play....
    Need A Penny? Take A Penny...Need 2 Pennies? Get A Job!!!
    [img]http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/College/Football/james-davis-GI.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its been 5 years now since I called a game, so my mechanics would be awfully rusty. But its all about positioning and angles there.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Counts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would have to..you can't score without tagging up, the runner (legally) would still be in play. Unless they were called out for leaving the path. </div></div>

Without an appeal you sure can score for a missed bag. In any case it is an interesting situation that I will bring up to some of the Umps I know (I am a bit disapointed that none of the local refs on this board have said anything yet) </div></div>
    You can score for a missed bag- but this is not the case. They didn't return to the base after the catch, so legally they cannot advance and any throw to 3rd is an out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can score without tagging up if the team does not appeal the tagging and another pitch is thrown.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The team in the field would have to appeal the tag-up before all players left fair territory, if no appeal the run would count.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12