Thread: NCAA football question

NCAA football question

Watching a Mich/Ill replay. Bad snap to the punter, hits the ground rolls around. Kicker picks it up and kicks it forward maybe 7 yards. He got the ball off clean, but got hit right afterward. My question - is that running into/roughing the kicker since they didn't get a hand on the ball?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: NCAA football question

If the ball touches the ground.....no.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did the punter run with the ball before kicking? Possibly quick pick up and kick with the defender already there?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Hit the ground. wasn't sure if that affected it or not. And he took a quick step to the side. Just curious, thanks guys.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rule 9-1-4-a "When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker" If the kicker stops, resets, and everyone in the stadium knows he is going to kick the ball then he has protection. The snap being bad and/or hitting the ground doesn't matter (that's an NFL rule). I didn't see the play, but the way you describe it, there would be no foul.