Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for all you referees or anyone?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question for all you referees or anyone?

Offense player has ball running towards endzone........he reaches the 5 yard line and the defensive player hits him from behind and the offensive player fumbles the ball. The ball rolls forward and hits the pile on and bounces into the endzone and the offensive team recovers.......

what is the outcome of this?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question for all you referees or anyone?

Touchback I would assume...cuz once it hits the pylon it's out of bounds.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the defensive player doesn't touch the ball, it is placed on the 5 yard line since the offensive team recovers the ball in this instant, they can not advance the ball. However, if the defense touches the ball, then the offense can advance the ball and score. The pylon is not out of bounds, it merely marks the line to the endzone. There have been numerous times a touchdown is scored by merely letting the ball touch the pylon before a player is ruled down or out of bounds.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The pylon marks the plains of the endzone..but it is out of bounds..and any ball fumbled out of bounds in the end zone is a touchback. If a player sticks the ball over the plyon going out of bounds, he has broken the lateral and vertical plain..so it's a td. But, I've seen instances where a player tries to do this and loses the ball before he breaks the plain and it was ruled a touchback. But if the pylon sits out of bounds, it has to be out of bounds I would figure.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's a question and answer from Jerry Markbreit...the question is similar..

<span style='font-family: System'>I've grown tired of announcers saying that players need to dive into the end zone within the pylons, as well as players unnecessarily positioning the ball inside the pylon as they dive for the end zone. As I understand it, because the goal line stretches indefinitely outside the field of play, the pylon is essentially meaningless for judging a touchdown. Can you clarify this rule for me? And if the pylons serve no purpose, why are they there? -- Dan K., Boston</span>

You are correct. The goal line stretches around the world outside at the field of play. The pylon's purpose is to signify that the ball or player is out-of-bounds in the end zone. If a player going in for a score hits the pylon with the ball extended over the plane of the goal line, he is out-of-bounds in the end zone, and a touchdown is awarded. But if a player is coming out of his own end zone and he hits the pylon with the ball in his possession, he is out-of-bounds in his end zone and a safety is awarded to the defensive team. So in that sense, the pylons are very important.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/foo...0,5795077.story

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That also depends upon where they hit the pylon though on each of those situations.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So according to this, if you jumped from say the 2 yard line in the air past the goaline, WITHOUT sticking the ball inside the pylon....its still a td?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the ball crosses the goal line, yes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So according to this, if you jumped from say the 2 yard line in the air past the goaline, WITHOUT sticking the ball inside the pylon....its still a td? </div></div>

Actually it depends upon the level of play. NFHS and college are different than NFL.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a touchback at all levels of football (hs, NCAA, and NFL). The college rule is 8-6-1-a. It doesn't matter who touches the ball after it is fumbled, the attacking team is responsible for the ball being declared dead out of bounds in his opponents end zone (as was already mentioned, the pylon is out of bounds). The only way this can change would be if Team B (the defense) purposely batted the fumble. In this case, impetus changes and the result would be a safety.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast