Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 21st Annual VHSL Basketball Officials Camp

Camp format looks a lot like what I've suggested for a while--I particularly like the 3-man work, the critiqued video, and the best officials doing a "championship game". Just wish it were mandatory to be a VHSL official to do something like this quarterly or at least 2x a year.

We've got some AOA basketball officials on here...so let me ask a curious question--just a guess, what percentage of AOA basketball officials will attend this camp OR others alike it in format before next season? Is it mandatory to attend any of these in order to officiate this next season?
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont know the percentage since I do not work basketball, but I know of a few that do attend this (might surprise a lot of you) and if I am not mistaken 2 of the 3 officials who worked that championship game were from the AOA. Don't hold me to that though.

Just got word as well of a new football clinic that will begin next year that I hope to attend in Salem. It should be very interesting.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I may be wrong about this but I would think that if someone decides that they want to officiate, that they would be willing to do camps, inservice, etc. in the effort of making them a better official. I have spoked with other officials that have done the camps, not just in Virginia but traveled to other states, and they tell me that the experience and critiques they received was very beneficial.

I would think that some sort of inservice, and I don't mean just the VHSL meeting with the coaches before the season begins, should be required by all official associations. And with some it may be.

Unfortunately, officiating, like anything else, you have those who are dedicated to the sport, work to give you 150% each and every time they officiate a game and then you have those that is all about the money.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bballgal42 View Post
    Unfortunately, officiating, like anything else, you have those who are dedicated to the sport, work to give you 150% each and every time they officiate a game and then you have those that is all about the money.
    Good thing you said that and not me. I've said this a million times before and it's always been met with the Pavlovian response that "maybe if the players were better the officiating would be better in this area" by one official or another (excluding Stripes).
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're NEVER gonna make everybody happy, you're NEVER going to have perfect officiating, or coaching or playing. Coaches get reviewed and if they don't perform, are sent packing. Players get reviewed by coached and if they don't perform, probably never or seldom see the floor or the court or the field. Officials get yelled at by the fans and coaches but on this level aren't really subject to much in the way of review. That's the problem, that and some don't really give a care or couldn't take off their bias glasses if their lives depended on it. I don't wanna group them all because there are some who constantly strive to get better or feel bad if they blow calls. It's just like anything else, there are coaches who feel bad if they screw up a decision, there are players who feel bad if they make a bad play or execute horribly. Then there are the others who at the end of the day, don't care if they win or lose as long as they were seen.

Kids don't get paid. Coaches, truthfully, are generally paid almost negative for the hours of time they have to be involved (or most, I guess some probably don't give anything but the bare minimum), the ones who are paid the most per time they devote, are officials and no question, they deserve a good chunk of change for what they have to put up with. That being said, if more really were reviewed and subject to getting good assignments or no assignments on performance, you would probably seldom here anything about the lack of concern. Oh sure, some are going to complain no matter what happens. My dad would be one of them *lol* I can watch something with him and he'll notice the 2 bad calls the team we support got, but forget the 10 good calls

I don't know why it seems like basketball is the worst, be it the speed. Be it there are less players on the court so all the questionable things are more noticeable or what, but it is hugely noticeable.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Picked up some games at Gate City this past week. Refs also there for a working clinic, being evaluated I suppose. Lots of work to do in the ref department. 2 games played in a row, no 3 second violation at all called until late in the 2nd game, when Lee High's coach yells 3 seconds, then the whistle blew, come on guys, your better than that. Ive heard the argument also that the players are not good therefore the calls are bad, wont hold water. A walk is a walk and a foul is a foul, and a 3 second lane violation is so. Not all was bad, I did see some good calls and for the most part the refs were consistent.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0cketer View Post
    You're NEVER gonna make everybody happy, you're NEVER going to have perfect officiating, or coaching or playing. Coaches get reviewed and if they don't perform, are sent packing. Players get reviewed by coached and if they don't perform, probably never or seldom see the floor or the court or the field. Officials get yelled at by the fans and coaches but on this level aren't really subject to much in the way of review. That's the problem, that and some don't really give a care or couldn't take off their bias glasses if their lives depended on it. I don't wanna group them all because there are some who constantly strive to get better or feel bad if they blow calls. It's just like anything else, there are coaches who feel bad if they screw up a decision, there are players who feel bad if they make a bad play or execute horribly. Then there are the others who at the end of the day, don't care if they win or lose as long as they were seen.

Kids don't get paid. Coaches, truthfully, are generally paid almost negative for the hours of time they have to be involved (or most, I guess some probably don't give anything but the bare minimum), the ones who are paid the most per time they devote, are officials and no question, they deserve a good chunk of change for what they have to put up with. That being said, if more really were reviewed and subject to getting good assignments or no assignments on performance, you would probably seldom here anything about the lack of concern. Oh sure, some are going to complain no matter what happens. My dad would be one of them *lol* I can watch something with him and he'll notice the 2 bad calls the team we support got, but forget the 10 good calls

I don't know why it seems like basketball is the worst, be it the speed. Be it there are less players on the court so all the questionable things are more noticeable or what, but it is hugely noticeable.
    Very well put.