Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Inadvertent Whistle

Not sure if the spelling is right.

Lets say for instance a ton of the fans from a given team all brough whistles, and blew them at strategic times during plays. As a ref would you have any trouble down near the goal line or side lines knowing if another ref possibly blew the whistle, if you are across the field? Perhaps Being on the opposite side and you got a Lineman or even receiver blocking you think that whistle you heard was from another ref... and throw a flag cause someone is blocking after what you think was another ref's whistle... I imagine that flag would get waved off, but if the play ends seconds later the other refs woudln't know when "what you saw" happen happened. Since no instant replay or what have you.. how would this situation be handled? Flag waved off? if so how can you be sure with all this whistle blowing of all the fans?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Inadvertent Whistle

bump this, I wanna know as well

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I am about the only official on here at this point now. As for your question Skeletor, the answer is it depends. First, if a group of fans brought whistles and were using them, you would have it announced that their use is illegal and any use can penalize their team for unsportsmanlike conduct. Also, the fans can be asked to be removed from the facility. If a whistle came from a fan during a play and interuppted it, you will have a replay of the down also. More than likely in your scenario Skeletor the flag will not be assessed and you will have a replay of the down if an official heard another whistle during the play other than that from a member of his crew.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for the late response.. Thanks!

What if some Players from a team that is "Open" that week, go to an upcoming opponents game, and aren't really rooting for either team (More than rooting against them)... but say they are sitting on the home side. Would the home team be penalized for this?

Most kids don't try to "Dress up" as a (Viking Fan, or Bulldog Fan if they are watching another Schools team play while they are open) they wear their letterman jacket, or nothing at all other than their regular clothes? But what if they put on a Dark Blue Shirt, and just happened to be at an appalachia game (Or coeburn) or whatever color that happend to come close to one of the teams playing.. If it got so out of hand would Said team be penalized for this? (Hopefully after the first whistle) the Fans would go beat the **** out of these numnuts... but in essence... A group of guys could "Disguse" themself as fans, and get a team flagged or penalized and possible cost them a game?!