Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: General Movie Chat

kingfozzy

Wink

Hey Reved, glad to hear that you took the plunge and saw ROTK on the big screen. Just think that if Jackson tried to film everything that was needed to cover one book that alone would be about 8 hours. Corners had to be cut somewhere. [img]wink.gif[/img]

kingfozzy

Wink

I think this coming thursday i'll be going to see Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind or Spartan.
    I need my big screen fix! Besides I have a free popcorn and small soda coming to me. [img]wink.gif[/img] hehe

kingfozzy
    Went to see Jersey Girl this past weekend. I have to say that I was expecting a better movie than what I saw and why do people keep hiring Ben Affleck for films??? The man has no screen presence what so ever and I won't even go into his "acting".
    Would've been better off going to see Scooby Doo 2.

kingfozzy

Wink

OK, this weeks excursions were The Girl Next Door and Ella Enchanted. Strangelly enough Ella was the better of the 2 films, although Minnie didn't have enough screen time for my taste. [img]wink.gif[/img] TGND was a Risky Business wanna be and was sadly lacking in any charm. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just finished watching the Rankin/Bass 1979 animated/musical version of RETURN OF THE KING. Granted, it's a super abreviated version of the story, clocking-in at only 1:39 (closer to 1:27 minus the musical sequences), but Rankin/Bass did a great job with the final book!

It was so much more accurate than the horrible Bakshi rotoscope-animated version, which seemed to switch immediately from somewhere in the middle of Fellowship suddenly to the battle of Helm's Deep, then credits unexpectedly rolled!! Still, Rankin/Bass did an admirable job with The Hobbit, and this version of ROTK (to finally finish the story Ralph Bakshi just seemed to lose interest in before dropping). Hehe, I'd like to compare this version to Jackson's version when released on DVD! Many of the scenes were almost identical between them, although in animation there'd need to be some over-emoting.

kingfozzy
    I loved those Rankin/Bass animated Rings flix when I was a tot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Think i'll go see 13 Going On 30 today. Don't think there is anything else in the theatres that I really want to see and of course looking at Jennifer Garner is always good. [img]wink.gif[/img] hehe

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font color="#339900" size="1">[ May 01, 2004 08:34 PM: Message edited by: reved ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The spoiler HBML doesn't seem to be working here. I'll try reposting the message & deleting the old one....
    ---------------------------------------------
    Think I'll go out for KILL BILL v.2 this afternoon. Saw v.1 last week, so might as well finish the story today.

EDIT - Just back. With the amount of Gargantuan-length features being released, and QT's penchance in this two-part movie in particular for 70's western & Kung-Fu drive-in nostalgia, believe this movie would have 'worked' much better released complete. Volume 1 followed directly by Volume 2, with perhaps a 10-minute "intermission" separating the two for viewers to stretch their legs. Hell, Kubrik did it in '2001; A Space Odyssey'. It would have also made the photo-end-credits seem less of a 6-month ago throwback. But Miramax likely felt it better selling two tickets serializing the movie than releasing it as a mega-package.

As I feared, Kill Bill v.2 fared about as equally against v.1 as Reloaded or Revolutions fared against The MATRIX. The bloodiest action-fight sequences were in v.1, so when v.2 came out, viewers would be expecting a finale to top it. It doesn't. O'course, most of the loose-ends were tied up in this volume, but that required perhaps a few too many motionless 'talking-head' discussions, and a flashback to her 'cruel tutelage' by Mei Shei (or whatever his name was) should have occured somewhere in v.1, perhaps because that scene in v.2 prepared me for some very abbreviated fight-sequences here in v.2.

Abbreviated fight sequences = Beatrix (Uma, whose characters name is bleeped-out of speech until about halfway through v.2) fighting Daryll Hannah.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="MMNHZC">
    I knew her other eye was going to be plucked-out because of the leadup in that scene, it just happened a lot sooner than ecpected.
    </div><hr size="1"></blockquote>

You think it was a tip-o-the-hat to Daryll Hannah flopping around on the bathroom floor to her death-scene in BLADE RUNNER? [img]wink.gif[/img]

Also, if her 'cruel tutelage' flashback happened in v.1,

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="MMNHZC"> or perhaps if Bills fluteplaying discussion by fireside mentioning Mei Shei hadn't taught him the 'five-point exploding-heart' technique happened in v.1, Maybe I wouldn't have been expecting Beatrix to actually kill Bill without ever getting out of her seat. Again, a short fight which paled in comparison to her earlier Crazy 88 battle.
    </div><hr size="1"></blockquote>

And BEWARE to any QT-fans out there:

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spoiler (click to view):</font><hr size="1"><div class="spoiler" id="MMNHZC">
    HAPPY ENDING!!! GASP! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img] </div><hr size="1"></blockquote>

<font color="#339900" size="1">[ May 01, 2004 08:43 PM: Message edited by: reved ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to change the subject, but whew! Did either of you check out the "reviews" for Edgeplay posted around? Take a look either on the Runaways or Cherie's board. There was a screening the other night so the sh*tstorm is beginning. It will be interesting to see if any of VB's brainless minions post an honest review or just more of their usual nauseating devotionals.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Read the "reviews"... yea, a lotta vague praise which described nothing about the movie. EXCEPT for the only 2 posts "L.A. Bill" has made here on Hostboard. His review was much more detailed about why & how the movie didn't work for him, but seems he was perhaps biased against enjoying anything about the documentary. NewYorkJettster didn't seem too keen on the movie either & she apparently hasn't even seen it yet!

BTW - who's VB? I skimmed the reviews, you mean Vicki?