Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AH, how open-minded of him; a mod over at The Runaways board claims he'll delete all Edgeplay threads if people write criticisms/negative reviews of the movie. [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am so glad you posted what you did, reved! I wanted to say that very same thing, but for a long boring list of reasons, I need to stay out of it. Yes, VB is Vicki Blue. Bill's is the only review that says ANYTHING! You can't even tell if any of the others actually saw the movie! It's pretty funny, that after all these years of buildup about it, the fans don't really seem to care. LOL! I suspect that several of the defenders are the filmmakers or plants, posting repeatedly under all these brand new screen names.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

You get a chance to see EdgePlay, Rocky? I'd be interested in reading an unbiased review (even attending the premiere, your review of Hellboy was rather down-to-earth; not all fanboy praise & single-line movie-poster accolades). It's less probable here on McCarthy's board that a not-so-affectionate review would cause the uproar it did on Runaways board. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No! None of us have seen it! That's the whole thing! VB made a documentary about the band then refused to show it to them! She even at one point said that if anyone from our bunch showed up, she'd have us arrested!!! Sheer idiocy. Plus, there's no way anyone from the band or label would go, because they don't support it and don't want to give the impression that they do. The funny thing is that even the people who claim to support it didn't show up. Anyway, we may get a copy soon, and when I do see it I'll let ya know what I thought.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is there more info on release dates from IMDb-Pro? Standard IMDb only mentions two film-fest releases, then an unnamed Sept. 16, 2004 date (for limited theatrical showing, or direct-to-dvd?)

Hehee, could try finding the person who manufactures cheap bootleg DVD's around here (where I saw Hellboy) an' see if could interest him in running-off a few thousand extra copies of Edgeplay. [img]eek.gif[/img] Maybe it'll make a dent in VB's financial-backers opinion of VB if 'someone' tosses a $7 bootleg against their $25.99 storefront rentals.

<font color="#339900" size="1">[ May 09, 2004 11:49 PM: Message edited by: reved ]</font>

kingfozzy

Wink

I want to see Edgeplay myself, mostly out of curiousity...in spite of the negative things i've seen. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, hehee, Edgeplay doesn't seem to be getting any commentary since the first weekend. Lets go back to theatrical releases, rather than film-fests. Below is a repeat of my review of KILL BILL v.2, but with the spoilers removed (turns out, having several spoilers in the same post mucked-up Java).

--------------------------------

With the amount of Gargantuan-length features being released, and QT's penchance in this two-part movie in particular for 70's western & Kung-Fu drive-in nostalgia, believe this movie would have 'worked' much better released complete. Volume 1 followed directly by Volume 2, with perhaps a 10-minute "intermission" separating the two for viewers to stretch their legs. Hell, Kubrik did it in '2001; A Space Odyssey'. It would have also made the photo-end-credits seem less of a 6-month ago throwback. But Miramax likely felt it better selling two tickets serializing the movie than releasing it as a mega-package.

As I feared, Kill Bill v.2 fared about as equally against v.1 as Reloaded or Revolutions fared against The MATRIX. The bloodiest action-fight sequences were in v.1, so when v.2 came out, viewers would be expecting a finale to top it. It doesn't. O'course, most of the loose-ends were tied up in this volume, but that required perhaps a few too many motionless 'talking-head' discussions, and a flashback to her 'cruel tutelage' by Mei Shei (or whatever his name was) should have occured somewhere in v.1, perhaps because that scene in v.2 prepared me for some very abbreviated fight-sequences here in v.2.

Abbreviated fight sequences = Beatrix (Uma, whose characters name is bleeped-out of speech until about halfway through v.2) fighting Daryll Hannah.

I knew her other eye was going to be plucked-out because of the leadup in that scene, it just happened a lot sooner than expected.

You think it was a tip-o-the-hat to Daryll Hannah flopping around on the bathroom floor to her death-scene in BLADE RUNNER? [img]wink.gif[/img]

Also, if her 'cruel tutelage' flashback happened in v.1,

or perhaps if Bills fluteplaying discussion by fireside mentioning Mei Shei hadn't taught him the 'five-point exploding-heart' technique happened in v.1, Maybe I wouldn't have been expecting Beatrix to actually kill Bill without ever getting out of her seat. Again, a short fight which paled in comparison to her earlier Crazy-88 battle.

And BEWARE to any QT-fans out there:

HAPPY ENDING!!! GASP! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OMG! I just blanked-out! What happened?

Had some excellent point to make that crossed EdgePlay with the Faith/Idea storyline behind Dogma. Had something to do with 'fans' being just as bad as Jesus Crispies. Damn, lost the idea.... [img]redface.gif[/img]

kingfozzy
    OK, here are the movies that i'm looking forward to this summer.....

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    The Chronicles of Riddick
    The Stepford Wives
    Spider-Man 2
    Garfield (only because of Jennifer Love Hewitt)
    King Arthur
    The Village
    I, Robot
    The Bourne Supremacy
    Thunderbirds
    Alien vs. Predator
    Hero

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Asimov must be spinning in his grave.

Thought about it some more, and hope this one movie doesn't destroy his entire literary universe by showing robots as sneaky clever killers.
    Asimov's robots can't be bastardized THAT much! The robots have to have been set-up by human(s) to be fall-'guys'. It's a plot by the anti-automoton faction!