Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movie Chat - Dawn Of The Dead (remake vs. original)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

See the NY Times post I made (warning, it's a big article). Would have linked the post, but not everyone here is registered with that site (no direct-linking allowed).

Should keep this thread about DotD, as it's titled.... [img]wink.gif[/img]

kingfozzy
    Ya know when it comes to remakes I try not to compare it to the original because 9 times out of 10 it only bearly resembles the 1st one.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's like comparing Romero's original NOTLD to Savini's 1990 "revision" of NOTLD. It's not so much a 'remake' as it is the same basic premise, but populating it with current stereotyped characters.

Has Rocky gotten around to watching 28-Days Later yet? I gave it a decent plug here earlier, & he sounded interested. I believe if you enjoy one, you'll also enjoy the other.

kingfozzy
    I think it's safe to say that if you watch the new DOTD and 28 Days Later you get both sides of the coin when it comes to zombie movies. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Both sides of the zombie-movie coin? Again, I disagree. In both cases, the zombies/infected are hyperkinetic and MEANT to be scary. That's the same coin face. For the other side of the coin, would recommend watching the 'comedic' zombie movies out there: Cemetary Man (aka; Dellamorte Dellamore), Savini's 1990 remake of Night Of The Living Dead, and Peter Jackson's Dead Alive (aka; BrainDead). The Italians made some wonderfully funny zombie films in the mid-80's in an attempt to ride the fan-wave created by both Romero & Fulci's earlier zombie flicks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Granted, to a certain extent. #1 being budget. There was a bit more comedy in DOTD; like the husband zombie chasing after his wife in the start, then veering-off last second for some other woman. Right outa the Three Stooges making-zombie-flicks 101.

The two were good comparisons between 'Brit' and 'US' movies though. The Brit film, unexpectedly, had a somewhat upbeat ending. In the US movie, everyone died.

LOL, watched Altman's THE PLAYER last night. "When there's no more room for scripts, the movies will recycle themselves."

kingfozzy
    OK Reved, what I should have said is that DOTD shows all the things that 28 Days Later never really showed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12