Shot my PML Amraam-4 on an Aerotech J460-BlueThunder. Success on the written-test questions, then success with a flight on a "damaged" rocket! The Gods must be smiling at me.

Originally thought the whole day was going to be a bust. During the 2-hr drive to the launch-site, one of the cannard-fins on the Amraam4 snapped from being jostled by road bumps. I put the BigNuke in a cradle, but thought the Amraam4 could take the driving conditions. Thought wrong.

FIRST luckout! The guys who parked right next to me were people I've met at earlier launches this year. One of them was super-cool enough give me a lil bit of 2-part epoxy (to quik-fix the fin) and a gram or so of 4Fg commercial black-powder! I was nervous enough about the broken fin staying attached during flight, didn't wanna add EXTRA stress to the launch by using a DIY gunpowder ejection-charge. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

I was using DIY igniters for launching the rockets, and didn't feel TOO much DIY experimentation was appropriate for a certification launch.

The epoxy quikfix on the busted fin was given enough time to cure while taking the written test. D'OH! All Homer Simpson-like, had thoughts of the launch going thru my noggin while taking the written test. Missed 3 questions outa 50. That's not good. I rushed, and got 2 of them wrong just cause my head was in the clouds. Explained the correct answers to the prefect, but just checked-off the wrong bubbles. GRRRRRR!!! (smack self in forehead).

Passed Written, but not as high as originally hoped. Still above 90%.

THEN had to show I knew enough to actually build & FLY a rocket of that power safely. Not only nerve-wracking because that was $500 of hardware & equipment which coulda burned-up into ash & schrapnel 1 second after the launch-button was pressed, but added worries of that quikfix-busted fin and using a DIY igniter to spark her off!

The Gods musta felt generous today. Though it was overcast, the ceiling was high enough to launch big stuff, without excessive squinting or sun-blinding of the spotters. No wind whatsoever! No CATO's or SHREDS the entire day, which is almost unheard of! Almost everything just went straight-up and right back down again landing very close to the pads. I didn't see anybody make a long walk, even from the "Away" M+ pad.