Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

I have a friend who knit a big wooly pullover, but she really wants a cardigan. Can you just cut it up the middle and sew in the ends? Help, please.

PS I am SO sad I missed Kusi's last Thursday we went out of town and i remembered at about 9 pm that i should have stayed home. The holidays take their toll on one's brain. I have a card for her... [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Laura, having never done a steek myself.......your friend could practice on a GoodWill sweater. Mark the middle front, and on each side of that run two rows of stitches (loose tension on machine) from neck to hem and then cut down the middle. Soon I will have the chance to try it myself as I am knitting an EZ sweater in the round in January (It's the Knitter's Almanac 1 year Challenge!) and it has to be cut up the front for the cardigan. Good Luck!

Inactive Member laurarose@jeffnet.org's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

The goodwill practice sweater does not seem (seam?!) like a bad idea at all, if we could find a wool one. Thanks. [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Inactive Member laurarose@jeffnet.org's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    She did it. Here are her comments:

howdy
    well I took the plunge (must thank your friend for the wine advice, cabernet sauvignon seemed to work particularly well... would you mind forwarding this to her? i lost the address) although i did not pause btwn sewing and cutting, afraid to lose my nerve. and i'm pleased to know there is a term for chopping up a sweater. i have not willfully detroyed 9 months worth of labor (is there an analogy there, waiting to happen?) oh no, i've 'done a steek'. seemed to work out ok, although if someone asks for my advice sometime, i would specify making your 2 seams 1"+++, so there's a fair amount to curl over. (I did mine ~1/2" apart, so once again, the Dread Seam Allowance bit me in the... ANYway...) So besides being a smaller amoung of yarn on the outsided of the stitching than i would have liked, i think it worked out o.k. Then, instead of knitting the (is there a word??? 'yoke' perhaps?) rest i decided to crochet... seems alright, kinda puckery in places, not sure if its enough to be lame, or mild enough to melt away with proper blocking out after a wash... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. will show you tomorrow, assuming i work out the childcare thing.
    -dominique
    p.s. yeah, sorry about the lack of capitalization... my wrists being lame, i've eliminated all unneccessary movements, had to happen. i also started a sentance with 'and', which was difficult considering that i'm sending this to a teacher.