Thread: EZ's Knitter's Almanac year long knit along.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Feeling up to a challenge? If you haven't already worked through Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitter's Almanac book, let's have some fun and do a year knit along. You could do all the projects (I know this is daunting) or just join in for a month or more. Nichole and I are starting in January with the Aran Sweater. I am trying to decide whether to jump in with bulky or worsted weight. I am a slow knitter, so bulky might be faster for me. I may not get them all finished before months end, but it will be amusing to see how many UFOs I can amass by the end of the year! It could be more insane kids....it could be the" 52 Pairs Of Socks In A Year Knit Along". You scoff, but it's true!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aaaargh! Sarah! I knew you and your darling daughter were doing this. It didn't occur to me you'd try to drag anyone else in. sigh. I'd love to take that challenge, but honestly, I have so many UFO's already that it just wouldn't be fair. To them.
    To join in for just a month, though -- hmmmm. I have some faves in there, thinking mostly about February. I am not going to do a whole baby blanket *and* sweater *and* leggings and whatever else she includes. But. I could do a preemie sized blanket and a sweater/jacket in February. That might be fun. I'll think on it.
    I am happy to say that I *did* decide that the log cabin baby blanket for a4A was done and it got sent off yesterday. Whew!
    Not yet done: the vest for birthday boy Duncan. It needs the ribbing around the neck and armholes. Just can't face it. Maybe Christmas. But oh my! So many other things going. It's all a bit too much.
    see you all this afternoon/mm

Inactive Member laurarose@jeffnet.org's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    THis is one crazy idea. I think it would be too expensive for me this year with only one income, and I don't actually have the book. But for curiosity's sake, what projects does it include? Marina mentioned sweater, leggings, and baby blanket.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Knitter's Almanac is just weighed down with oodles of fun things to make. Each month a different project or two or three [img]smile.gif[/img]

Some example to whet your appetite: aran sweater, more sweaters, mystery blanket, mittens hats, shawl, Christmas Fiddle Faddle in the Wilds, Nether Garmets to name a few.

So warm up the needles girl, dig into your stash and just knit one month's project! It'll be fun! Sarah

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

well, I guess I could do A month. I have been meaning to read some EZ for some time now anyhow. Is it an internet group thing? do you have a URL for it?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, sweetie! It's just us here.
    Reading this book is a treat for the soul. EZ was an amazing woman and her wisdom continues to shine from these pages. Get Amelia to order you a copy!
    One example should do it. Here's what I learned from my first reading of the Almanac: You're the boss of your knitting. Wow! Did that ever liberate me!
    Why don't we all do it just one month? I'm committing right now to February. Mind you, I'm making a preemie version of the blankie.
    See everyone Th.
    mm, who has a mild cold and a galloping case of startitis.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Knit Picks order is in and I am eagerly awaiting my supply of yarn for the Aran Sweater and the Square Shawl from February..... [img]graemlins/sheep.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to admit to a big bit of floundering at getting started with the Aran Sweater. After reading other Knitter's Almanac Knit alongs on the web, I realized I could give myself permission to shirk my duties and finish just the swatched hat. Screw the sweater. Like our knitting circle, there are few rules if any for the knit along. The swatch hat has progressed to row 20, several mistakes later, and I am sure I can never give this hat to anyone. Now I don't even think I like the color. I ordered the Forest Green Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks. It's difficult to discern the "fish trap" pattern of left and right twists. Finally I went to the Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 2 and followed their directions executing a Right Twist. It seems to be a more pronounced pattern and maybe there is hope for a sweater after all. I have semi memorized the pattern and It seems blinding painful to knit an entire sweater from a yarn I am not crazy about using a pattern that isn't pleasing to me while that energy/ time could be spent knitting other cable swatches; projects from Mason Dixon knitting like the Log Cabin Blanket, ( I so want to to snuggle under one after seeing Marinia's and Laura's finished treasures!) the Baby Kimono. the baby bibs......

My plan is to take my new Stitchionary 2 book, my new EZ'S DVD and IF the newly ordered knitting books arrive in time, I will haul all of them and a basket of yarn, spinning wheel, fleece, spiral cut ham, expresso maker, and chick flicks to a cabin on the beach this week. Three days of watching winter storms crashing hugh waves against the beach while sitting snug in a cabin. Oh it sounds DELIGHTFUL! Lots of knitting, napping, and hanging with my friend Kristina.

Meanwhile, Nichole in Anchorage is busy knitting away on her Aran sweater for her grandmother. The little pill is the one who instigated this year long challenge.

Is anyone else from Theo's doing a January project from The Knitter's Almanac? How about joining for a single project from another month?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I went to Books without Borders the other day and ordered the Almanac. [img]graemlins/chat.gif[/img] I would certainly like to join you for at least a month. I'm anxious to see your swatch hat. i was thinking I could do the Aran NEXT January as a wrap up to the year! But if it isn't a good pattern, who knows .... or do you just choose cables you like, hence the swatch hat? Really hoping to come Thursday--going back to work is kicking my wool basket.