Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally dont have a hang-up about it, but I think a lot of people would take issue with the idea of people back sliding. Many people in the "once saved always saved camp" would say that instead of back sliding it should be considered a false conversion. Just my 2 cents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone thinks a card in The Mission is doctrinely off? Obviously with so many denominations with their own opinions on the Christian life today I am curious to see whether people think the way it is portrayed in The Mission is way off or not. Name specific cards if you wish, doctrinal comments welcome, let's get some open discussion going!!

Nathan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm, I wondered about this myself. Its funny I had never even heard about "once saved always saved" until my first trip to the US in 2001. I must admit when I was talking to a guy about it it made a lot of sense. I remember getting into a bit of trouble at my home church for bringing it up and defending it one Sunday [img]smile.gif[/img] . The Mission was already well on its way by then of course.

I know the artwork for the backslide card suggests a fiery end but I don't really think of it that way any more. I always think of that Christian having turned his back on God and is no longer useful to the church, whether his end is bliss or punishment is not for certain. However he/she can come back (the prodigal). I think if you overlook the artwork on the backslide card itself the game mechanic accomodates both viewpoints. I guess the term "backslide" itself is quite a charasmatic one as well. Personally I don't like the idea of sin condemning a man to **** that is already washed in the blood of Christ, not that I would want to test that theory too much [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

Nathan

PS the **** was hel<l it starred it out [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Inactive Member hojothemonkeyman's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,
    Maybe I'm a little confused by it's meaning and special ability. But, I don't understand what makes disobediance a bad card since the special ability just lets a different church use him. Is this trying to say going to a different church is evil?
    -Burton

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

Good question,

Firstly I wanted each lvl 3 to be different and I liked the idea of snatching one of your opponents Christians [img]biggrin.gif[/img] . The essence of it is that God has placed that Christian in a certain church and through disobedience they have left and joined a different church. It's not that they can't help or be useful to their new church but they are not part of what God is building there and so do not add to the "Victory Total" of that church. I do not think every Christian is necessarily called to one particular "church" but some are and for them to leave where God has placed them would be an act of disobedience.

I love the artwork for that card... did anyone catch the old artwork for that card when it was posted on the site...? A big thumbs up for anyone except *coughSamStringercough* who knows what it was.

Nathan

Inactive Member hojothemonkeyman's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up Nathan. I didn't know there were two artworks, I've only seen the one with the apple.
    -Burton