Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, I'm going to have to think about this before I pick one. I mean, what things does one consider as a basis for making a decision? Internal hardware? Longevity? Software? ...Backwards compatibility? (Well, kiss the ol' XBox goodbye if you want that...)
    Let's break this down...

Sony Playstation 2- Plus+: Dedicated to their current format and software that is many years old. Minus-: Internal hardware inferior to XBox and Gamecube. No hard drive.

Nintendo Gamecube- Plus+: Um, they have some good games. Zelda? Eternal Darkness? And um... well, you know what they are. Minus-: Looks like a child's lunch box. Nintendo insists on not just settling down with ONE format. One day they're a cartridge system, the next they're peddling discs the size of coasters, rendering all of their past software useless unless you own a working system that supports it. And if you don't, don't count on Nintendo to help you there. Which is the biggest problem I have with Xbox...

Microsoft XBox- Let's start with Minus- this time: In an attempt to get a jumpstart on the next-gen console wars, Microsoft has decided to abandon it's current XBox as well as its vast library of games possibly as soon as the end of next year. They have decided that continued support for the current system is too costly, and have also said that they refuse to spend a little extra money and give the XBox a backwards compatibility feature. With the penchant the current XBox has for shorting out (I'm on my third XBox), don't expect Microsoft to care very much when you wake up one morning and can't play Halo anymore. As I told Dr. Zoidberg earlier, this is a perfect example of how non-committed they are to their product as well as their loyal consumer base. Apart from Halo 2, I refuse to spend $50 of my money on another XBox game in the future. Plus+: seemingly bottemless hard drive, Halo, best Live community.

So, what's the bottom line? Owning all 3 systems I can say that the XBox obviously has the best graphical capabilities. But Microsoft is setting themselves up for a fiasco the likes of which no one has witnessed since the failure of the Atari Jaguar should they be unwilling to make the current generation of software compatible with whatever it is they have coming up in the very, very near future. Sony, on the other hand, is saying that they're happy with their current format, and should they survive long enough in this thriving industry to one day manufacture a PS-10, you can rest assured it will still support the software made for their previous consoles.

So I'm doing something that only a few short months ago seemed unimaginable; I'm voting for the Playstation 2. If you're an XBox owner, then you owe it to yourself to find your own way of telling Microsoft that you won't be screwed around. Don't blindly allow them to pull the wool over your eyes when they cease support for XBox. They swore very shortly ago (in November of 2001) when they entered the console market that that they would devote themselves entirely to maintaining the respect of their customers the world over with their relentess devotion to the current XBox, and now they've decided it would be more cost effective to prematurely kill it in hopes that the ignorant masses will flock to the "bigger, better deal". Do you like that you paid $50 for games that will be rendered obsolete very soon on a console that never once could find a way to produce anything better than Halo? Microsoft only cares about one thing, and it ISN'T about protecting your investment. No, what motivates them is every bit as green as the circular logo that sits mounted to the top of my XBox.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 18, 2004 12:27 PM: Message edited by: darwin farkus ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Went with my Compy [img]cool.gif[/img] ... Not only do i have emulators for nes snes genesis and loads of flash games i have my new games I purchase like War craft 3 [img]cool.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 18, 2004 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Wolf X wood ]</font>

Inactive Member Mercenary Drago's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes I to must go with my comp. It's got more juice than all the current systems put together currently.

Inactive Member Mercenary Drago's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh pops, you and your gaystaion, you know you should go and pick up a copy of Hairy Croft - Rump Raider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow. Only took you two months to reply to that, huh? You're really on the ball. Tell you what, I'll go buy myself a paintball gun and shave my nads so I'll be as smart as you.