Thread: What taxes will I pay when I go to AGPLA?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hello from sunny snowy Western Canada!

In a few weeks we are going to travel to LA for a family holiday. I am wondering what sort of California sales taxes I will have to pay when I shop at AG Place, etc.? Thanks for any help! I live in a province that has no provincial sales tax but Canadians pay a national 6% on top of many things we buy as a "GST" federal goods and services tax. And second question, when we order online at AG, I don't believe we pay US taxes? Would it actually be cheaper to purchase most of dd xmas list online because I may be hit hard by personally shopping in California sales tax(es)? As it is, when my online purchases arrive, I pay the 6% GST on them at the post office PLUS a 5.00 handling fee, PLUS the extra $10.00 to AG as a Canadian purchaser, PLUS the shipping. You get the idea! Thanks all! Kelli

thepidget

Sales tax in Los Angeles is 8.25%. I haven't ordered online from AG in a while, so I don't remember if they charge you tax or not...I *think* they do? But I'm not sure. Hope this helps in some way, and good luck making your orders. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know how it would work for you, living in Canada, but I know some members have their AGP items shipped home for them to avoid paying the in-store sales tax. However, with customs and everything on top of regular shipping, it might be cheaper to just pay the California tax and bring it home with you in the car/on the plane. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We bought things in Chicago and had them shipped home. We did have to pay the shipping, but I wonder if you took the code with you if you could avoid the shipping charges all together?? Also, whether you ship or carry your purchases you will have to pay the duty, unless you do not declare them--you may not have to if you don't buy a large amount, but a large bit of it would throw a red flag. Certainly you would have to lose the boxes if you paid and carried home to avoid the duty.

I suggest shipping home. It seems to be the safest. There will be the charges from Canada, of course, but I think that will be cheaper than the sales tax at AGPLA. By the way--shipping maxes out at a purchase of $300, so get a friend or two to chip in on the purchases and split the shipping. We did that and we really made out well. We would have paid about $40 in taxes and we split shipping and paid only $10 AND we didn't have to carry it.

Good luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sales tax is like 7.85% or something like that but I always round it up to 8% (it's easier that way).

If you purchase the items at AGPLA you will have to pay sales tax (my cousins live in Canada to).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Thanks everyone for the info about the taxes! I guess it works out about the same to our "GST" then. Oh, that's neat you have Canadian cousins Sophia. Are they on the west or east side of Canada? We are on the west. CU later alligators, Kelli

horselvr2

Originally posted by pidgetgirl:
    Sales tax in Los Angeles is 8.25%. I haven't ordered online from AG in a while, so I don't remember if they charge you tax or not...I *think* they do? But I'm not sure. Hope this helps in some way, and good luck making your orders. [img]wink.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, it is 8.25%

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by coco2006:
    Thanks everyone for the info about the taxes! I guess it works out about the same to our "GST" then. Oh, that's neat you have Canadian cousins Sophia. Are they on the west or east side of Canada? We are on the west. CU later alligators, Kelli
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cool they live in the west too. They come down to Cali and stay with us in the summer.