Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry you're having so much trouble, Ashley; the job market's really hard some places (and some places where it's hot, it's still difficult to earn a living wage!). Everyone else gave such good advice I can't add much. I had a hard time finding a job out of college and wound up temping; I was eventually hired and am working a job that doesn't require a degree, but it pays OK. [img]smile.gif[/img] If you don't really want to move, are there any temp agencies you can try?

Whatever you do, please remember that having trouble finding a job has nothing at all to do with your worth as a person. If they don't want YOU, then either they're having budget troubles and don't want anyone, or else they chose someone else among the hundreds or thousands of applicants they had. I know it's hard (that's why I wound up temping; I got frustrated with not getting interviewed or hired after my first 6 applications or so [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) but if you just keep trying, you'll get something eventually!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have little to add for advice except to ditto the people who are saying to have various resumes for different kinds of jobs, and not mention your education for the lower-paying ones outside your field.

All of education is having problems. I have my BA and MA and will have my PhD next year. But there are very few job openings for college professors- about 200 qualified applicants for every one job. There's plenty of part-time work but it pays worse than most receptionist and retail positions, has bad schedules, and you have to commute to three or four different colleges to make even around $2000 a month after taxes. With gas prices in So Cal, it's getting to be impossible to do this. Most of us are very disillusioned at this point, after working part-time in the field for years, going through 10 years of school, etc. and are fleeing education for business, activism, NGOs, etc.

My teaching contracts end in July and I hope to find a full-time job in the applied sector. It makes me sad to leave teaching because I really love it and get great student evaluations, but I realized it was more like a hobby than a career. I make as much money per hour training horses as I do teaching at a college (neither one is much). That's pretty pathetic since I've gone to school for 10 years to teach college. [img]eek.gif[/img]

I wish you all the best and hope you find something soon!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ashley,
    I understand where you are coming from. When I got my Master's degree 3 years ago, it took me almost a year to find a job in my field! It was so frusterating, and I felt so embarrassed being unemployed, especially after having two degrees! I eventually found a good job, so it does happen, but just takes a while. Everyone here has given some great advice and suggestions; you may want to look into getting a "fun" job at a bookstore or something like that until a professional job comes through. Also, it never hurts to volunteer wherever you can because they may end up hiring you My mom told me this and I wish I would have listened to her! Good luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Keep us posted. I hope you are feeling better. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123