Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know exactly how you feel. I graudated with a masters degree in art history, and pretty much knew that my dream job of teaching as a college professor was a slim chance. But the carrot was dangled in front of my face this past spring, There was a position open at a state university and I sent in a resume and did get an interview. The interview was a total disaster. I was nervous and not my sharpest, plus I wasn't asked the typical interview questions so the preperation that I did, didn't help me. Anyway now I am very shy about academia after that.
    I have had to get my real estate license for work even before that college interview came up. It wasn't what I studied in college for 6 years to do, but it did get me by. Now I am going to buy a business (hopefully) this summer. I don't have a job that I want to keep forever right now, so I thought I would make one I would like. I understand that it's not easy for everyone to do, there are risks involved with starting a business, and my uncle is cosigning and helping me along with the loan and everything.
    But if all else fails- you could sell real estate. You meet a lot of interesting people, it's not that hard, and you get good experience.
    I do really know how you feel because I did have a chance to get a job in my field and I blew it this past spring.
    I wish you all the luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It is gettomg close to the end of the term . Could you advertize in your local paper about doing private tutoring .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ashley, how tied are you to Colorado? People here have given you excellent advice; and if you are open to exploring new places, summer camps and nannying can take you on adventures across the country, or even around the world. Many families in more wealthy communities are looking for nannies to travel with them and keep the kiddies occupied at the beach or even abroad for the summer. If you do this, I would register at several reputable nanny service organizations. Or how about helping with children's programs for a cruise line? Spending your summer on a cruise ship doing activities with kids can't be all bad! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Whatever you do, keep your chin up! Make a list of all of your skills - however insignificant they may seem to you - and see what you can find. Take your list to an employment agency and talk to a counselor there for help in discovering where you can use those skills alone or in any combination.

thepidget

Hi Ashley,

I really know how you feel. I have a bachelor's degree and it's still really difficult for me to get a job. Last year I went in for numerous interviews for office/receptionist-type jobs and got turned down many times. I wasn't originally planning on going to grad school, but my job chances seemed so dismal that I am now taking classes at a different university and looking into getting a master's degree. However, I did manage to land a great part-time job as an after-school teacher last fall, but the program ended earlier this month and I am once again unemployed.

It can be so hard and discouraging sometimes, and I totally understand why you feel so sad... When I'm done with my finals at school, I plan to look for a new job, but I'm dreading the whole interview process and all. [img]frown.gif[/img] I wish you the best...there are definitely going to be hard times in life and sometimes they feel as though they will never end. But as my mom used to tell me: "When God closes a door, he opens a window." Good luck and I am hoping that you will have better days ahead of you! Don't give up. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am applying in Kansas, Colorado and the Seattle/Tacoma area.

I did apply to the YMCA for a summer job but haven't heard anything from them.

Ashley

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel the same way. I've been out of college for 2 years this May, and the one job I had in that short amount of time I had to quit after a month because of severe pains. The problem is that I can't work retail--that last job flaired back up my latent arthritis, and now I have pain in my right shoulder and hips almost every day. And all the sitdown jobs I've looked at haven't hired me. It's extremely frustrating. =(

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by angelnise:
    I noticed that you live in Colorado, and everyone I know who lives in that state has an employment problem. The best thing to do is just hang on. You know, you don't have to list your education just to get a plain clerk job. People create resumes for different positions.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that's true. My adult cousin and his family live in Colorado, and I know he's been going from one job to another.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you decide to volunteer in the meantime, how about checking out the auxiliary staff in your local hospitals? They often have someone assigned to be a library lady and take a book cart to all the patients.

Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ashley, I totally sympathize with you. I had my dream job working in news for about a year -- and then due to various circumstances (read: I didn't get fired, do anything wrong, etc), I can no longer work for that company for at least 3 months b/c of regulations. So, I am now working back in retail at my old college job, but at least I am not sitting around doing nothing. I did that for about two weeks and I couldn't stand it. I'd rather be productive and doing something that's a) a paycheck and b) something kinda fun (I get to play with makeup all day)while I'm searching for a job.

Try getting a fun retail job at a bookstore or educational store like Schoolbox where you can meet other like-minded people and maybe even get some job contacts. You never know who you'll meet, and plus you'll be getting paid. Also, have you tried tutoring places like Sylvan Learning center? My college roommate's mother was in a similar situation as you (worked as a sub but couldn't get a teaching job) and started working at Sylvan tutoring. She loves it.

Also, just as a heads up: here where I live in Georgia, our state is DESPERATE for qualified teachers, and I don't mean out in the boonies; I'm talking metro Atlanta -- suburbia. The starting salary for teachers is the highest in the South and I think is higher than the national average. If you have any questions, let me know: my aunt and best friend are both teachers in Georgia.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hard to add to the great advice you have already gotten.

I also think volunteering at a hospital is a great idea.

With your education, I was wondering if you could see what kind of jobs the hospitals in your area have that you might be interested in. Putting in a job application at a hospital might help also. The hospitals need more then doctors and nurses to run efficiently.

I don't know if you are married or not. If not I would look into getting involved with a church group for young adults. You need to get out and have fun.

You might also look into being a big sister. I am sure there is a young girl out there that would love to share your love of AG dolls.

Hope that helps a bit.

[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast