Thread: OT: Where to get a pleated skirt for DD's Hermione costume?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I've been searching ebay for a grey pleated skirt for my daughter to wear for her Hermione Halloween costume but the only auctions I can find seem to be from the UK. I'm watching one that ends in a few hours but wondered if anyone new somewhere closer to home that carried them~~~~inexpensively?

Thanks,
    Kristin

PS DOes anyone know where I can get some cheap ties as well? I'll need 3-4, 2-3 gryffindor and 1 slytherin/

T. Lynn

Have you tried goodwill stores or consignment shops?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://store.americangirl.com/pls/ag...groupid=445122

AG of course.

[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] & [img]smile.gif[/img] VBFF

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Try Old Navy. They normally have grey skirts, sometimes a-line, but occasionally pleated in the adult women section. If you can sew, you could fix the size, or perhaps the smallest size would fit her?

I don't know how much accuracy you/your daughter care to put into the costume, but the skirt for the more recent movies isn't pleated like the one for the first movies. The first two movie's skirt was the "normal" pleating all the way around, in a dark charcoal color, darker than the sweater. The more recent version is lighter than the sweater, and has bigger pleats that aren't all the way around. I have pictures of both, if you need them. If the perfection isn't important to her, any grey or black pleated skirt should work fine. The sweater is really the most important part, imo, few non-Potter fans are going to realize the skirt isn't perfect, but most have seen enough of the movies to be able to tell the sweater is off.

Websites that specialize in school uniforms will be most helpful for the skirts. French Toast and Buckhead School Uniforms both have some good versions, and should be easy to ship to you.

As for the ties, try Alivans or WhimsicAlley. I have an "official" one that came from Alivans that is an adult size, and is huge for me (I'm 5'3), so I bought a kids size clip on one that was navy and scarlet, and just painted the navy gold with fabric paint, it looks pretty nice considering it only cost a few dollars to do, and is mostly just under the sweater, so I don't think perfect detail is important with that.

Let me know if you need help, or have any questions, I had a lot of fun perfecting my own costume a few years ago, and it's nearly perfect for the first 2 movies' Hermione costume, and I'd be more than happy to help you find anything you still need forums ! I got both my skirt and grey sweater at used clothing stores, and fixed both up, it was easy, and my costume was relatively cheap (I don't think I paid more than $30 for everything, including used Doc Marten black mary janes, aside from the cloak), and it was fun to customize it myself. I need to make one for the more recent movies soon, so I've been looking at websites trying to find similar items.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The first two here, on the Buckhead School Uniform site, in Charcoal would be about prefect for the 3-4-5th movies.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, French Toast has them for under ten dollars!

http://frenchtoast.com/jump.jsp?item...T&optionID=210

Brooke

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the tips. I have tried a Goodwill and local thrift shop but haven't had any luck as of yet. My daughter is pretty skinny so I don't know that an adult size would work. I am definitely looking for something in the "thrifty" price range. I was thinking about not even doing the sweater since it's usually pretty hot here in Georgia for Halloween and I figured I'd be pushing it having her wear a long sleeve shirt, tie, skirt, tights and robe. My son is going as Draco and I've gotten his robe taken care of but I still need to get robes for my other son (Harry) and my daughter. The rest of the boys costumes should be pretty easy to get.

Kristin