Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pattie mentioned loose hairs on her Addy. I have a burning question for all of you - exactly how many loose hairs should Addy ( or any of the dolls) have? I've gotten conflicting responses from CS.

Our Addy has a LOT of hair that is only 5 1/2" long. I'm fairly sure it's that whole first row of hair around the front of her crown. It reaches, but does not work into her braid, so these hairs are never secured. Because her hair is so fluffy, it is always flying around her or hanging in her eyes. If we carry her she looks like she has a swarm of flies around her because of how the hair moves.

We sent her back immediately, only to have her twin sister arrive looking just like her. I htink this is a hazard of returning thinsg immediatly - if the whole batch is flawed, you just repeat the problem. However, this is when a CS person told me they are all made that way (???). I'm not buying it. I've since heard both ways from CS. I do notice the nicer ones think it's flawed, and the less helpful ones don't! I thought I'd ask you.

The hospital is currently making us a replacement Addy out of spare parts.We have mixed feelings about it - this is what the head of CS wanted to do. One side of me is just plain curious what the doll will look like - will it be like that old Johnny Cash song about the cadilac made from pilfered parts that spanned the history of the company? I think Ebay gets some of those sometimes [img]wink.gif[/img] Some of me is afraid she'll have the same hair, or else great hair and a problem with her eyes. Worst case scenario is we just send her back and accept that there migh be no resolution. No, worst case scenario is we fall in love with her and have to buy a *third* Addy (we also have one I rewigged into brother Sam)!

I don't know when she will arrive, but I'll file a report with the board when she does.

I've had no trouble with Josefina's hair ( except for the earring interference). Here again I think it is the luck of the draw. I'd guess the ends are trimmed after her hair is braided, and ours just happens to have been cut fairly (not perfectly) even. I've never been able to figure out why dolls have this problem and real kids don't. We do not own Kaya, and have yet to take Molly's down. We usually do it only after their hair gets snagged.

My dd has waist length hair so we get enough hair play without the dolls. I'm practised at braiding because of this, and suggest this tip for those who haven't done very many: Try watching the ends and adjusting slightly with each plait. So, the longer sections are laid in ever so slightly looser and the shorter sections are laid in snugly. You might have to try it a few times in order to get the look smooth .

We have taken Kirsten's down and put it back several times. She is an older PM. I trimmed her rougher edges just a mite and use baby oil to keep it nice looking She looks great.

Popsie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Addy sheds a lot and some of the top parts of her braid don't get tucked in enough unless you start really high and French braid. Her hair is fun to play with once you get the knots out! My Addy is PM West German though and I know the newer Addys don't have the same type of hair. It isn't designed to be let down and played with as much as my Addy's hair is.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a little surprised that you regret taking it out! I slept with my Josefina when I first got her and messed up her braid so I took it out and was so amazed by her beautiful, wavy hair! She looks so nice with her hair down and I love playing with it and braiding it.

Inactive Member Felicity Merriman's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

EmilyStrange-I was just on your website today, and was SO excited to see a guide on how to do historical American Girl dolls hair! Ever since I first got into American Girl collecting, I had really, REALLY wanted something like that! Where did you get it? Is it actually from Pleasent Company, or American Gril?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Felicity Merriman:
    Is it actually from Pleasent Company, or American Gril?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It came from the old AG historical fan club Pleasant Times newsletter. A nice board member e-mailed it to me and I sent to to Emily! I have a few other hair style guides from the old newspapers that came with the catalogs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A second big thank you for the directions on restoring AG hair! My Addy was also adopted via Ebay almost 5 years ago. Her former momma took down her braid. I had tried for hours to put it back to the original style but never was satisfied. She has so so much hair. Then I found the directions here, and last week was successful. First I gently washed her hair in a drop of Woolite, though. She looks beautiful with a braided bun!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow Emily, I never noticed those hair directions on your site before. Thank you for posting them! And thanks for the source, whoever that may be. It's great seeing how to do those hair styles.

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I printed up the instructions and mounted them on posterboard to bring to the convention in NY for my talk on how to do doll hair. I have two other instruction sheets to send to Emily for her website. thanks Emily for hosting the images!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Robin has all the goods, I just post them on my site since I have some space! I'm glad we could help you ladies out with your doll hair. Sometimes I'm not sure if anyone notices some of my pages, but I don't like to make a new post every time I post something new. I usually just put it in my signature.

courtneysunshine

Originally posted by EmilyStrange:
    Robin has all the goods, I just post them on my site since I have some space! I'm glad we could help you ladies out with your doll hair. Sometimes I'm not sure if anyone notices some of my pages, but I don't like to make a new post every time I post something new. I usually just put it in my signature.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So that's where my photos went to. I sent Robin copies of the pictures I took of the hair instructions I had because she said she wanted to use them for her own dolls. Robin never told me she was going to give them out and I really don't feel comfortable with my pictures being posted without my knowledge. I'm not trying to be nasty, but they are my pictures and they are copyrighted.

For Josefina's hair, if she is an older doll, it should be easy to put her hair back the way it was. When I took our Josefina's hair out of the brais, you could see the indentations in the hair where the hair was divided into three sections. We just used these indentations as a guide and her hair looked just as good as it did before we took it out.

Kim

<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ April 09, 2005 12:09 AM: Message edited by: courtneysunshine ]</font></font>

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 09, 2005 12:12 AM: Message edited by: courtneysunshine ]</font>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast