Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative Minds & Opinons Need

emsmombuysdolls

Inspired by everyone's HB get togethers, I am thinking about hosting the first annual AG Convention in Chicago--actually a suburb. I know I would have to change to official name to avoid lawsuits. I really would like ideas and input before I take the first baby steps. I am thinking it would be a two day event. The first day I would rent a spot all day to hold the actual convention. We could have buy/sell/trade booths and people can volunteer to host little classes i.e. doll clothes making, restoring (eye replacements would be a big hit). The cost of the ticket would help cover the rental space and two meals (lunch and dinner--catered, but cost could go down if everyone was willing to do sandwiches or something cheap). This would not be a money making event for me. Ticket cost would strictly cover expenses. The second day would, of coarse, be a trip to AG Place Chicago. Everyone would be on their own for that expense. Except for transportation needed from convention site to AGPC--that would not be a problem. A good friend of mine is a professional wedding coordinator/party planner. She threw some numbers together and ballparked 20 people at about $40 each would cover the cost for the first day. The actual price would go down if more people attended or if someone came up with cost cutting ideas. I just planned worst case: no one had a clubhouse or space we could use ($200 is site rental for the entire day. I will shop around) and no one brought food ($15/meal includes paper products and refreshments for the day). I could coordinate hotels and such if people were coming in from out of town. I think a decent but inexpensive hotel would be about $40-$60 a night. This would be a group effort, though. I would really need participation for the booths/classes. I would need input for meals/beverages. I wouldn't have a problem with sharing info about the costs of things so everyone knows where their money is going and maybe they have some cost cutting ideas. It would take at least 6 months to plan. I guess my real question is: Would anyone even be willing to participate? What other things should we do at our "convention"? Let me know what you all think.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It sounds like fun! What a great idea. I doubt I will be able to attend, but I think next summer may be a good time for everyone.
    Will this be just for HB members? What about making it a potluck lunch (sandwiches, chips, dips, tater salad, etc) and dinner (baked mac and cheese, lasagna, spaghetti, etc.)?

emsmombuysdolls

It will be for anyone willing to purchase a ticket. If I get enough people interested, then I can really start shopping around for sites and come up with a ticket limit. I was thinking potluck, too. I just worry that if people are driving any distance, they don't want to bring food. Another thing to help lower the cost: El Famous Burrito has really yummy food and a Build Your Own Taco party $100/25 people. And they provide EVERYTHING. That is only $4/person.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would it be adults only- or would people bring their daughters?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by emsmombuysdolls:
    It will be for anyone willing to purchase a ticket. If I get enough people interested, then I can really start shopping around for sites and come up with a ticket limit. I was thinking potluck, too. I just worry that if people are driving any distance, they don't want to bring food. Another thing to help lower the cost: El Famous Burrito has really yummy food and a Build Your Own Taco party $100/25 people. And they provide EVERYTHING. That is only $4/person.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ummm... build you own taco...... [img]graemlins/dish.gif[/img] sounds good. $4 a person is a really good deal! I was wondering the same thing about the potluck if some people are traveling a long way (like me if I were to come), but if the place you are able to get has a kitchen then maybe they could cook it there or reheat it. A place that has a kitchenb may be more pricey, so the taco catering may be your best bet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This sounds like so much fun! Of course, if I came I would have to fly - so potluck would be almost impossible for me. But I just love the Build Your Own Taco meal! I've never been to AGPC, so that would be a real treat for me. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love the idea! For those of us on the west coast however, that's a fairly expensive plane ticket. Six months isn't much time for some of us to plan and save that much $$, not to mention spending money! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As far as hotels go, many places have convention rooms available for rent, and might give you a discount on one if the attendees are staying at the hotel, or may even give a discount to those who are staying. Some even have catering too, and there might be packages available. Make sure to ask about that when you call though, because some hotels that also do catering only allow their own, no outside caterers. It's worth looking into.

Have you checked out charter bus prices for the trip into Chicago? Or, could the place you rent be near a commuter train station? What would be the cost per person for public transportation v. charter?

If your friend is a professional planner, she should have some contacts and might be able to sweet talk a discount for you. Or, at the very least she could point you in the right direction.

Let us know what you find out!

Inactive Member supernonamegirl's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just as a heads up, I believe something like this has been tried before, but I'm unsure. You may need to seek permission from Mattel to use the AG name as a draw.
    In general though, I think it's a good idea. I could see panels being done on doll maintenance (restring, etc.), the books and characters, maybe even customization. Vendors could, theoretically, be people with hand sewn stuff. One possible solution for the permission issue could be specializing in just 18" doll convention and then Carpatina may interested in both selling and some sort of topic since it's like free advertisement.

emsmombuysdolls

You could bring your dd's if you wanted to. It would be small as far as conventions go, since I have never organized one before. I am thinking 25-50 people. I will have my friend shop around for hotels that we can stay and hold the convention at. I will also look into food storage for pot luck.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You should talk to Ria (ScarlettSlipper). She organized a convention in NY at it was a ton of work and a lot of hassle on her end. I did a talk on doll hair styling. We had a nice time but it was expensive and difficult for us all to be at the same place at the same time. It sounds like a great idea but you may be better off with something more informal where people can meet you somewhere if they're in the area and available.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 14, 2006 08:41 PM: Message edited by: QNPoohBear ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast