Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

We have never taken a winter vacation, but this past summer has been so hectic that we didn't get a chance to use this year's vacation time.

We would like to take a week in either December or January and go someplace warm. I would personally be happiest just laying about on a beach for a few days and being able to stay right on the beach would be the greatest! [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]

Since we have never been further south than Virginia, I was hoping to get some advice about great warm winter destinations; Florida? California? Tropical Islands? or ???

What are your favorite winter vacation spots? Also, any suggestions for fun things to do with teenagers? Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 05, 2006 08:00 AM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My dad hated going away in the summer-we always went warm weather in the winter.

Don't be fooled by Florida-sometimes it got just as cold as NJ in the winter [img]smile.gif[/img] (Or at least around late December)

We went to: Naples, FL
    Key West, FL
    St. Martin
    St. Thomas
    Bahamas
    Maui/Hawaii
    Mexico

And a bunch I was forgetting-my favorite destination hands down is Hawaii-I have been there 3 times, and would jump to go back [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I lived in southern CA for many years in San Diego and it was real cool at night and warm in the day. It was not go to the beach warm though. i would go further south.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We've been to Tuscon and Phoenix in the winter. (Personally I like Tuscon better.) It's about in the 60s - not warm enough to lie on a beach, but warm enough for the locals to wonder why we weren't bundled up in sweaters [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I looove near my grandma's place in Sarasota, Fl
    I also love Hawaii! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We've been to Tuscon and Phoenix in the winter. (Personally I like Tuscon better.) It's about in the 60s - not warm enough to lie on a beach, but warm enough for the locals to wonder why we weren't bundled up in sweaters
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AZ is very nice during Winter. It gets a fair bit colder than 60, and it's always quite a bit colder at night. But, it almost never snows, even though it gets cold enough a few days, so it's obviously not as cold as many, many places back East. We have snow birds here ALL the time, but I would recommend going somewhere more touristy. I can name a bunch of places to go/things to see (Northern AZ is really nice this time of year, it gets much colder than Southern AZ, but still nothing like Eastern states), but it's not going to be the same as, say, California. I don't want to say there's not much to do here, as everyone thinks that about their hometown, and there's more than enough to do, just, with the places you listed, Florida and California, etc, have more *stuff-stuff*

I'd suggest California. Especially with teenagers. You've got Disneyland, AGPLA, Hollywood, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, San Diego Zoo, Sea World, and other smaller things all in the Southernish part, (though San Diego is hours away from LA). And you've got the beach, of course. I hope you have fun wherever you go [img]smile.gif[/img]

AG Crazy in Wyoming

I'd say it depends a bit on what your teenagers like to do. If they are amusement park lovers, definetly hit California. If the surf and snorkeling and even sea kayaking is of interest, head for the islands! We're headed for Hawaii this year but we do have friends headed to Belize in Feb. Apparently that is a superb time of year to visit and there is a lot to do/see. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Good luck deciding and have fun when the time comes.~Bugs

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We love Aruba and it always has nice weather - They get almost no rain and it will be warm enough to swim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maui

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I live in Jacksonville, which is NE Florida, and I lived a year in Sarasota, which is south of Tampa, and I have family I visit loads in Tampa/St Pete, and of course, lots of trips to Orlando throughout the year.

The poster that said not to be fooled by Fla is right! In Jacksonville, and the rest of the First Coast (so named because it's the first part of Fla occupied by Europeans), it can get really bitter. Not necessarily cold to you northerners, but the wind and humidity and wetness are biting and sharp. [img]graemlins/umbrella.gif[/img]

Sarasota/Tampa&co don't have as much of a bitter feel, but it's also windy there, and with the wind coming off the water, it's going to be wet.

The further south you go, the more mild your winters are, of course. I suggest Key West as a destination, because it's within the States, and it's really awesome. [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img] I've never been myself, because my parents told me I wouldn't appreciate it as a kid, but when I became a teenager, they got divorced and stopped going.

It's very relaxed, lots of cool boating trips you can take, plus snorkeling or scuba diving, there's about a zillion bars, things to see like Hemingway's house, and on and on...

On the way down there, you could stop by other really nifty places like Orlando and St Augustine, or do the old US 1 trip that people made before I-95 was built (I highly recommend doing that!)

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast