Thread: OT: Nervous About New Job Tomrrow!! Need advice from my freinds!!

AmericanGirlLover2982
    Hey guys I know its a little strange. But I'm real nervous about tomrrow starting my new job. New classroom, new teachers, new kids, and not to mention basically 2 new postions I'm taking on. I will be a teacher asstiant for 2-3 year olds and bus matron. I am so nervous and scared, can anyoen give me some advice if they have worked with 2-3 year olds whats this age group like, advice please. Guys I need your help please prayer for me that my first day goes well. [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My brother is three right now, so I can give you a little bit of three-year-old advice. If you are nice to them, they will likely love you to pieces and want to make you happy. They are still in the age group where they love their teachers. They might have trouble sitting still for a long time, and some will have longer attention spans than others. They will want to tell you stories, and they won't ever stop. You need to be firm at times, but in a very gentle way. They might still cry if you raise your voice. Russell (my brother) needs to be reminded to do things a lot. "Russell, you need to use the bathroom before we leave, so please go now" and then we escourt him to the bathroom. He is a lot of fun, and I hope what i've said is at least a little help?

I also wanted to mention that at this age, sharing can be a problem, especially if it is something brought in from home. So bear that in mind! They may need to be told that if they don't want to share their personal toys, they need to keep them in a backpack or cubby.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 07, 2006 02:10 PM: Message edited by: simplepretty ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nikki,
    I don't have any advice for you on 3 year olds (I work with high school kids for a reason - LOL) but I do wish you the best. Relax, take your cue form the other teachers, be patient yet firm, show that you are eager to learn, and willing to work hard. Let us know how it goes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will keep you in my prayers. As for advice, you should begin as you plan to continue. Many times teachers will be a push over at the beginning hoping to get the kids to like them or they will be too harsh, because they are afraid themselves. Then later on, they try to change the relationship and often find that they can't.

Treat the kids the way that you would want to be treated. Be kind. Be firm. Be calm. Kids need adults to be the adults and to kindly set boundaries. Just as you would not enjoy being all day in chaos, kids feel the same way. They suffer when other kids get out of control. They also want help when they lose control.

Keep control, but do it so that everyone can have a better day, so that the kids can enjoy learning and playing. Set limits, but don't forget that the limits are in place for the children's sake. I have seen some teachers that seem to love rules more than children. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Keep in mind that if the children were perfectly behaved, they wouldn't need adults. They need us for protection, guidance, and most of all for us to be good examples. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just by you taking the time to ask, you have shown your desire to do a great job, so I believe that YOU WILL! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's good advice Mary. I have a 3 yr. old and she's full of energy and they love to talk. Hugs and kisses and lots of attention are some of her favorite things.
    carol

AmericanGirlLover2982

Bump!