Thread: Here's how I fixed my greenish Sam (very long)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I posted before that I bought my second AG doll from ebay in March. She is a very lovely and cute Samantha. Her only problem was that her skin had a very definite greenish cast.

I asked about this here, and many of you gave me advice about other reports of greenish skin, ideas about exchanging her, etc. I called AG Customer Service, and I was thinking about trying to exchange her.

But--this will not surprise any of you--I fell in love with her, and couldn't part with her. I tried to think of something to do to make her look healthy. I thought of it as wanting her to be "in the pink of health."

And THAT is what gave me my idea! I remembered something I learned from my daughter about using Photoshop to color-correct photos--especially human skin-tones. There is a dialog box where you can add and subtract colors in small amounts. I tried it out, and adding a small amount of red would cancel out a greenish look, in Photoshop.

So with some trepidation, I got out my paste food colors that I use for cake decorating. These are much stronger than the liquid ones you get at the grocery store. So strong, that they always stain my counters when I use them! I diluted some pink with water, and rubbed it all over my Sam (with her hair tied up and out of the way). For comparison, I left one arm un-treated. I only used a little at first, then added a bit more a few hours later.

It worked! She is now beautiful and healthy-looking. I waited until now to post, to make sure the treatment lasted, and didn't stain any of her clothes. Her healthy look has lasted, and I've treated her last arm now, too. None of her clothes have stained at all.

I would post pictures of before and after, but the problem never showed up well in photos, as it was too subtle for the camera.

I hope this will help someone else!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow - very creative solution! I have a greenish Lindsey that I would love to "pink up," but I'm not sure about her freckles...do you think the food coloring would discolor or cover up her freckles? [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! I'm glad it worked!

You know, they actually have greenish face powder for people with reddish skin, and that works wonders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, that's great! That's so cool that you found a way around the greenish tint. I don't have any green dollies but if I ever do, I might give your method a try [img]smile.gif[/img]

thepidget

Wow, what a great idea. Please post pics!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's just brilliant! I'd be a bit worried about staining, myself, but sounds like it's fine! And you did a lot better than the AGH would do (replace limbs and head). Wonderful idea!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great idea! Please post pics.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a creative solution! I'm glad it worked for you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Polly Marie

Smile

<font size="6">GREAT NEWS!</font>
    This method will rescue a lot of beloved dolls!
    Very creative and sounds easy to do.
    Thanks for sharing this green vinyl cure.
    [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]
    Polly Marie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ingenious! I've have two green Felicitys and had to send them to AGH. The second one I was really attached to. Next time, I'll try your fix. Thanks for sharing!