Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know what "Published for Opposition" means in regards to Trademarks?

I'm looking at the AG Trademarks, and some have dates for that, and others don't. I'm guessing it means something along the lines of they're done, and the product has been put up for people to oppose, say if there's already a similar doll/item, or some other problem.

Jess's "Published for Opposition" was October 11, 2005. But Emily does not have a date.

So, I'm wondering if we can take that to mean that anything filed around now would be something that should/could come out in a few months?

If so, "Lia" was Published for Opposition on March 14th. One of the many Rebecca/Rebekkah ones was filed on April 11 (although there is a Rebekkah one that was filed in 2004, perhaps the name was a problem?), does this mean Lia is the next LE, and Rebecca, who looks to be an historical, is actually being made?

There's also a dead file for "Kietra" (pity, the name alone sounds interesting), and a just filed one for "American Girl Hopes and Dreams" which is more bath and body products.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 30, 2006 04:48 PM: Message edited by: cami713 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok. 40 views with no responses. I take it that means either no one knows, or no one cares? Someone must have some knowledge on Trademark filing, so I'm bumping this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know what it means either- but I wouldn't think they'd be filing for opposition this early for the next LE, if they did Jess in October. Hmmmm. Interesting.

Jo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like when someone registers a trademark, they publish the fact that they are registering it so if they are infringing on someone's trademark, that person has a chance to file an opposition.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know anything about that stuff, but I did find it somewhat interesting. Perhaps when I'm bored I'll Google it.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 01, 2006 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

From the glossary on the US Trademark web site:

publication for opposition:

If the examining attorney raises no objections to registration, or if the applicant overcomes all objections, the examining attorney will approve the mark for publication in the Official Gazette.

The USPTO will send a Notice of Publication to the applicant stating the date of publication. Any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark has thirty (30) days from the publication date to file either an opposition to registration or a request to extend the time to oppose.

If no opposition is filed or if the opposition is unsuccessful, the application enters the next stage of the registration process. A Certificate of Registration will issue for applications based on use, or on a foreign registration under ?44, or a Notice of Allowance will issue for intent-to-use applications.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, dlnw!!! I guess I could have found that myself, [img]redface.gif[/img] , there's just so much on that site, lol.

I guess it does sound like those 2 dolls are at least a step closer to being made now. I hope Rebecca is finally made. It looks like they've been working on her since at least Nellie, and probably before her, even.

Jo, I agree that it might be a bit soon for the next LE since Jess's was filed so late. Hmm....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jess's "publication for opposition" seems awfully late to me. When did her items first come to the catalog? If the "publication for opposition" means other parties have 30 days to lodge complaints, that means the final go-ahead for the name didn't come through 'til November 10th, 2005. So I'd imagine they almost for sure had to have started printing her book and making the doll before then. Although, in this day and age, maybe it doesn't take much time to print the books (I noticed the most recent ones are printed in China) so maybe they had another name already green-lighted just in case? (They could've changed the name of the doll and I don't think it would've affected any of her accessories, or her own construction. Although if someone else complained that THEY had a half-Japanese half-Irish doll that liked to go kayaking, AG would've been in some trouble. [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Although if someone else complained that THEY had a half-Japanese half-Irish doll that liked to go kayaking, AG would've been in some trouble.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the laugh. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

I didn't know anything about trademarks either, but this is a fascinating subject. Thanks for starting the thread. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the definition. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]