Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to AGPNY for my birthday! My birthday is on November 3rd, but I'm going to be there on the 4th. I've wanted to go since AGPC opened, so I'm really excited.

My questions are:

I'm a bit past AG's target age. forums I was wondering if it would look weird to bring a doll with me/to the cafe? How many people without young kids are there? How many teenagers do you see?

Also, which meal in the cafe do you like more, lunch or dinner? I'm thinking lunch, but if dinner is a lot better, I'll go for that.

Thanks!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ February 12, 2007 11:49 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi! I went to AGPC when I was 14 and I brought my doll and didn't really feel out of place, I think it is really all part of the experience. forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I go to AGPC at least once a year, and I always bring a doll. We usually eat in the cafe, too. The waitresses and waiters are really nice. Last time we were talking to mine and she said she was an actress. It was really quite interesting. I think when you are older you can really talk to the people who work there if you want and it adds a little bit to the experience. Last time I went was in January and I celebrated my birthday there, so I got a cupcake and an AGPC pin that says it's my birthday. (You know, they could've given me more than a pin... maybe a GIFT CERTIFICATE?! lol) Then again, I look a lot younger than I really am. But I don't think you'll feel out of place. It is mostly young girls but there are people of all ages there, and they all love dolls so they're not going to give you weird looks or anything.

ETA: Make sure you tell the people in the cafe that it's your birthday.

As for meals... personally I like either lunch or dinner, but don't get the tea. It's kind of a waste of money. You pay a little bit more for a full meal but you get a lot more food.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 10, 2006 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Kit, Kat, and Friends ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would go with the Lunch or Dinner, the menus are usually almost identical. I agree about not going to the Tea, it's usually just scones, tea sandwiches, maybe a cookie, and some chicken salad. If you like most of those items, the Tea is probably going to be something you like more. Hope this helps! forums

Inactive Member american_girl_forever's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool! I'm going on November 4th too! It's for a friend's sister's birthday! We're going for Elizabeth's birthday tea [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, AG PLace is sooooo much fun! I've been there at least 5 times now, but everytime I walk into that door, it feels like I'm walking in there for the first time. It's so...I don't know, just so magical and a wonderful experience!

I've only been to AGPNY (I live in New York, but I hope to go to AGPLA next year!) so I can REALLY help you out. To answer your questions;

1)I don't think it would look weird if you brought a doll. I've seen teenagers and adults with dolls there, so I don't think it's a problem [img]wink.gif[/img]

2)Most people there are with kids, but there ARE a majorty of adults and teens alone. When I went to the Emily preview at AGPNY, there were 2 teenage girls there, each with a Molly doll. I thought that was really cool!

3)I've seen quite a few teenagers there, actually! Sure, there are more parents w/ younger kids, but it shocked me to see many of these kids there are 12 to about 18! I'm in that age range, and I have no problem going with a doll.

Now, on to Lunch and Dinner. I have had both. They are pretty much the same as far as food and such. It really depends on when you want to eat. If you're more of a lunch person, go with lunch. If you're more of a dinner person, have dinner.

Another warning; I hope you have alot of money cause you're gonna want to spend it like CRAZY! Take it from me. I come in and buy something I never EVER planned on buying, but in person some things are much cuter, especially for the Today girls.

Also, if you have time or are alowed, the show is such a fun expereience! Plus, AGPNY now has the Circle of Friends! I'm seeing that on the 4th as well. The Revue was FANTASTIC so I'm hoping the Circle of Friends will be even better!

Another tip, if you have the Samantha movie DVD, go to special features and click on "AG Place, a Tour Experienece" and Katie Henney, who played Elizabeth in Felicity's movie, will give you a tour of AG Place, and I think it's New York, but I'm not entierly sure. It does, however, give you a feel for going to AG Place.

HTH, and for mor einfo, you can visit the official AGP website:

American Girl Places Chicago, New York, and LA!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bring your doll no one will look twice at you. We actually had breakfast there which was very nice since then you could shop on a full stomach.

We had dinner there last Christmas for my 35th B-Day and I had a doll with me

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Take a dollie!!!! I'm 21, and I took Samantha with me last year. I got tons of compliments on her. And I have to say...go for brunch! My parents are the most critical restaurant eaters who ever lived and they said the brunch was to die for. (I loved it too, but I'm not quite so critical) The pancakes are incredible. Have fun and take pics!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to add to the list. Definitely take a dollie!!! An AGP is probably the one place that you shouldn't feel weird about carrying a doll around, especially if you are not in the 8 to 12 range. I am 27 and I went to AGPNY this summer and took two dolls. I took Kirsten so that I could drop her off at the hospital and Kit to carry around after I dropped off Kirsten. At the cafe, the waiter seated Kit before I could even sit down. I wasn't sure how I would feel eating with my doll, but the waiter took Kit and seated her before I had a chance to think about it. Plus you usually get a doll size cup to take home with you.

Even if you feel the littlest bit weird, don't worry there will be so many people around that no one will notice. It takes a lot for New Yorkers to turn their head.

As far as lunch or dinner, I would try for lunch as it is a couple of dollars cheaper (more $$$ for souvenirs). But either one is great, just sitting in the cafe is so much fun. Don't forget to make your reservations early and tell them it's your birthday. I hope you have fun.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to add that I am usually carrying two dolls around there (Kit-Kat of course), and when I bought Piper it was three... and it will be three again if we go (which we should) with Violet and Fia and one of my dolls. So, by all means, bring a doll... or two or three! forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Feeling out of place at AGP (because you're an adult carrying a dolls) is like feeling out of place at Disneyworld. American Girl dolls and American Girl Places are quickly becoming as popular with teenagers and adults. I saw tons of women (been twice to NY) with dolls (myself included!) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast