Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I didn't even love Nellie's appearance all that much, but I read "Nellie's Promise" and I thought she was so darling! If I were to buy two more dolls, she'd probably be one of them, even though I don't care for the Victorian stuff so much. (I WOULD love to get her a stereoscope [img]biggrin.gif[/img] ).

(Now I want to read Samantha's books but the library seems to have "Meet Samantha" perpetually checked out, so I can't even start. Agh!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To me, there is a sweet gentleness about Nellie's character that comes from her hard life. She is so wise. She seems timid, yet strong in so many ways.It is hard not to fall in love with her. I really love Nellie.

Felicity_Fan85

I recently got the last book I needed for Sam's 6-book collection. So 3 are the old illustrations and 3 new. (I prefer the old ones, but the new are pretty good too). I'm giving the box with Sam to my mom tomorrow when she gets here...maybe Nellie will come in the future?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is kind of a silly question, but I have never read the Samantha series except maybe the first book a LONG time ago...I am wondering if someone can sum up the character of Nellie for me. I am in love with her doll, and I like what I do know about her (very little), but I would like to have a bit more info before I go ahead and get her! [img]redface.gif[/img]
    Thanks so much...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's what I know about her (admittedly not much, though I do have the doll)
    **SPOILERS**

From the books:
    Nellie is Nellie O'Malley and she was hired to work as a servant girl in Eddie Ryland's house (which is next door to Samantha's in Mount Bedford). When Mrs. Tyland was afraid Nellie would get too sick to work, she sent Nellie away. Samantha gave Nellie her favorite doll, Lydia, just before she left. I don't know what happened to Nellie next, but I think she worked for someone else in Mt. Bedford for a while. Then, in "Changes for Samantha" we learn that her parents had died of influenza and that she and her sisters, Brigit and Jenny, had been sent to live in an orphanage in New York City. Nellie was about to be separated from Brigit and Jenny, so Samantha broke them all out of the orphanage and hid them in her Uncle Gard's and Aunt Cornelia's house in New York (where she was staying). Eventually the girls were discovered and Gard and Cornelia decided to adopt Samantha, Brigit, Jenny, and Nellie.

I won't tell you what happens in "Nellie's Promise" because if you do decide to get her (which I reccommend [img]wink.gif[/img] ) you'll get that book with her.

HTH
    Tra

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much! I definitely have been wanting to get her, and that makes me want her even more. I'm so excited to start reading these books again too, since I'll actually have time to read for enjoyment now that college is done! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]