Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doll Duplicates: How do you handle them?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How many of you have a duplicate historical? An LE? An AGoT? What do you do? Do they go by the same name? Is one renamed? Do you ever consider selling the duplicate?

I'm interested because my mom and I finished restringing my WB Samantha, and since I also have a 2004 Sam, I don't know what to do. I don't want to sell either one of them because I've never sold a doll and I Just don't want to...at least not right now. I've considering renaming my Mattel Sam with a variety of names, but then I look at her and know that she is Samantha to me. I could rename my WB Samantha, but she's Samantha, too. I know Ria had Samantha 1, 2, and 3, but I just can't assign numbers to my dolls. What to do?

My signature says I've renamed my Mattel Samantha Anna, Anna Elizabeth Crabtree, my great-grandmother who was exactly Samantha's age, but I'm just not sure I can call my doll Anna and not Samantha. Maybe. I just want to see what some of you do with your duplicates.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What about a nickname like Sammie? This way they can both stay Samantha.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have two AGT 25s and two AGT 17s and I made them twins. They have their own names and personalities. The twin 25s have similar interests and personalities, but with some differences (enough to make them individuals). But the twin 17s are quite different.

I bet if you give it some time, each girl will become a unique individual to you. Even if they do insist on having the same name.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 4 lissies! LOL yeah 4 of them! However one is signed and still in her box, another is a pre-mattel rewigged with curly long spiral hair, another is PM which I do a lot with her hair, and the other one I have is my display pm lissie! HAH! They are all soo different! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 2 Felicities-- I call them Felicity (my first doll), and the earlier-made, redder-haired one I call Red-Headed Lissie.

I have 2 Kirstens--one is called Kirsten, and the other (an earlier, German-made one with scars from a dog-attack whom I rescued from ebay) I call Rescued Kirsten.

I also have 2 AGT #4's--one is PM, called Shan Li, and the other is Mattel, and is called Mei Ling.

Each of these "pairs" of dolls look different enough from each other to tell the difference at a glance. I never planned to have 2 Felicities or Kirstens--the second Felicity and Kirsten are fixer-uppers whom I had planned to sell, but when the time came I couldn't let them go! (Even though I already had a Felicity and Kirsten!) [img]redface.gif[/img]

There's enough difference between the PM and Mattel versions of #4 that I don't really think of them as duplicates--to a "collector" (that's me--or at least that's what I tell everybody) they're really 2 different dolls. Or at least, that's what I tell myself! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Just remember--if she has a different personality, she's a different doll, no matter what her name is, or how much she resembles any other dolls you have.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't want more than perhaps 3 dolls in the VERY long term (I have 2 now), so I'd honestly sell the newer one. But it doesn't sound like that's what you want, which is fine. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

You can call one "Sam" and the other "Samantha;" I think that would be different enough. If not, maybe you can call the one "Ann?" That's short for "Anna" and could TECHNICALLY be a nickname for SamANtha too (yes, that's a stretch, but maybe it would work for you [img]wink.gif[/img] ). Or if you happen to like modern clothes (or just clothes from another period) you can use those on one of the girls.

I think the others are right, that if the dolls have different personalities, that should help. Good luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have.. ummm... a few duplicates. My girls are too real to me to have numbers, lol. We have 5 lovely "Samantha's" who live here. Mantha (Mae's Baby) Samantha (My gift from Hubby), Sammie, (Modern Girl) Sam (Our tomboyish Samantha) and Miss Samantha (Our WB Samantha). I know the names are all similar, because like you, I am unable to stray too far from their original name comfortably, but they are all very different. Each girl is unique and special to us. [img]smile.gif[/img] And no- Don't sell her. I have had to sell dolls before (non-AG) it is sad, and you never forget the ones you have let go. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We have two Jess dolls, one is my mom's and the other is mine. My mom collects the LE dolls, Jess was the first one that I have ever really REALLY wanted. For us it was easy because Bess has always been a name that I have loved and since mom has all the other LE's her doll kept the name Jess and mine is Bess.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 2 Samanthas only because a friend gave me her childhood doll. I don't normally get more than one of the same character because it just feels funny. My 2nd Samantha goes by Sammie. I can't bring myself to rename any of the dolls with already defined identities.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 11, 2006 01:03 AM: Message edited by: AngieBelle ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Bean Bunny:
    Talk to them. Out loud.

No, I'm not nuts.

Eventually, when you call their names enough, you'll start calling ONE of them by a nickname. It happened to me and Jess -- I noticed I started calling her 'Jessie' out loud. So try it, and see if that gets you anywhere.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, that was I doing tonight. I was also asking Nellie which one was the real Samantha. Needless to say, she didn't know. She's just as bad as me. Mattel Samantha already gets called Sammie or Sam, so WB Samantha may just be Samantha.

Hopefully I'll get used to calling Mattel Samantha Anna or Annie. Not Ann, though, because Traveling Ruthie's *real* name is Ann, and I will start calling her Ann again so I won't have two Ruthies when Ruthie Smithens comes out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast