Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lorie,
    I could use your advice for organization. I just posted this link in another post, but this is what we're trying to work with. It's not the most aesthetic piece, but it's in DD's room, and it fits the budget right now.

I need to organize the small drawers, right now DD is just putting all little stuff in there with no rhyme or reason. I'm thinking we should have a drawer for food, shoes, hair accessories, etc. The large drawers hold about 10 -15 outfits when all the air is squeezed out of the gallon baggies and then put in the drawers like files.

Right now all the dolls are on a full size chest on another wall. I'm not sure what we are going to do with the top shelf. Hopefully, we will be able to decorate the "walls" of the rooms. Again, just haven't gotten to it yet!

Suggestions for improvement are not only welcomed, but encouraged!!

doll storage

Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, I forgot to add that we have a couple of other pieces (Molly's bed, dog sled, tent & accessories) that I don't know what to do with either!!!! [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Love the little doll closet. My collection isn't nearly the size of Lorie's (not sure if I spelled that right, I always get it confused with Laurie), but it still would need about five of those doll closets minimum. When I had two historicals and their collections, I didn't think how much room I'd need once I had five or (soon to happen) six. Since I really like complete collections, I'm finding the hardest thing right now is what to do with all the furniture that isn't able to be displayed at any moment. After our house sells and we move, DH will be building me two doll cabinets that will house four complete collections, and I'll put the rest on the top of the cabinets, but for now I'm rotating items out.

I currently have a 4'Hx1'Dx4'W bookcase housing all the accessories in their original boxes. I find accessory sets challenging to store, because the boxes take up lots of room, but I worry too much about not having the stuff protected and together when it's not displayed, especially since I have a lot of PM and retired stuff from my childhood. Dresses are currently in a sweater organizer, laying flat, but I've outgrown it and need a second one. Kit's clothes are hanging in a non-AG doll trunk that thankfully has two closet rods instead of just one, plus two drawers for shoes and things. Each doll has a box for storing hats, luggage, purses, and such, and each doll has a miniature dresser or trunk of some sort in their display that holds shoes, socks, ribbons, and necklaces.

I plan to buy the AG trunks for Kit, Josefina, Addy, and Kirsten. Lorie- do you find that those trunks are sufficient to hold most of the collections? I don't know if I'll be able to put the delicate accessories in the trunks though... I think I'm too uptight about them and they may need to stay in their original boxes. [img]confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love all these storage suggestions! I have a huge collection too [img]redface.gif[/img] and I use lots of different methods to keep it all neat and accessible. What works for me for my AGT collection is a "jelly cabinet" that I got at one of those unfinished furniture stores. It had three shelves inside and I took out all but the one in the middle, then I mounted two wooden rods at the top of the two halves to hang outfits from. I have each outfit on a hanger with a plastic bag hooked onto the hanger to hold accessories that go with the outfit (shoes, jewelry, etc.) I have the outfits sorted by type (school, sports, winter party, spring party, etc.) Within the groupings, I have them sorted by year using Meg's guide (which I keep in the cabinet too for quick reference!) I like having outfits grouped this way because I often set up scenes involving many dolls all on a certain theme, such as the spring birthday party that used all my spring/summer casual clothes.

The cabinet is about 3 1/2 feet wide I'd say and 4 feet tall and kind of pretty even though I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. I have to admit I recently had an overflow problem so I moved the Halloween costumes to their own bin and the AGT nightware to the blue star & moons armoire in my AGTs' bedroom.

Accessory sets go in three stacking plastic drawers either in their original boxes or in a baggie to save space.

My historical girls each have their own doll trunk but Samantha's is bulging! Historical accessories go in rubbermaid tubs in my storage room.

Inactive Member mom_to_an_americangirl's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have an ikea storage drawer system that once I have the collection sorted by year I am going to try. It is about 6 feet tall and has plastic drawers and lids of various sizes that you can purchase to slide into the tracks that are pre-drilled. The largest drawer is the size of an office wastepail so the more recent years stuff can fit in there and the next size down is the size of maybe four shoe boxes. I am using mine now for legos and Brios but will test fit it for AG and if it works I am off to Ikea.

Photos will come as soon as I have a working system.

Junior Hostboard Member mackstolen's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Storage solutions for AGT massive collection

Many types of plastic bins are used to get rid of clutter, most of which storage elements proposed. You, however, can use in any way you wish. Types of bins have separate details that contribute to various aspects of the organization.
    [url=http://plastics2go.com.au]Industrial plastics[/url]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12