Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am in the pre-sorting stage right now, getting outfits together and taking an inventory of missing parts and logging them into a database to track my collection but here is how I am dealing with my american girl of today collection.

Step 1- collecting all outfits from various bins and nooks and crannys in the house. I pulled out the known bins and walked around my house with a rubbermaid basket (think clean sweep) and pulled out anything AGT. I know some stuff is still hiding and will find it at some point but first things first. Get the majority of the items together.

Step 2- print out Meg's guide and checklist for the agot dolls by year.

Step 3- Ziplock bag each outfit. Each bag- I am using the gallon size is labeled using a brother p-touch as to what is in the bag. Name of outfit and parts.

Step 4- where I am at now thanks to running out of p-touch tape and baggies Inventory each item in excel by outfit name and parts. Missing parts are noted here for perfunctory searches on eBay or parts list calls or searches in the house.

Step 5- sell the duplicates on eBay to pay for replacement parts

Step 6- Put each outfit in an individual container (tote) by year first issued (thanks to Meg's guide)

This is not for long-term storage, my daugher and I are playing with our dolls now and we take stuff out randomly. I also placed a packet of silica gel in each baggie and wrapped the outfits in acid free tissue.

Step 6- cut the photos and lists of outfits out of meg's guide of what we have and tape them to index cards. Attach envelope to outside of bin so Elisabeth can choose what she wants without taking everything apart.

Step 7- rest on my laurels.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, that's all I can say, just wow!

Okay, that's not all. I'm constantly looking for storage solutions. I'm lucky enough to have the AG trunks for each girl and those help some although several of them-Sam's in particular--are just too small. For the AGOT girls, I use painted chests I got at crafts fairs, pretty but not that much help when it comes to organizing. Basically, stuff goes where it will fit. I'm lucky enough to have a dressing room converted to a doll room but that isn't anywhere near enough space. Wouldn't it be great if AG tackled this problem and came up with creative, maybe modular solutions?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lorie, I think this solution should work for you and Elizabeth. Both Judiaci and myself did this few weeks ago and she said it's also working for her, and it seems to work for Diana and I so far.

Good luck,

Laurie

Inactive Member mom_to_an_americangirl's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay- I have all of the historical dolls and near complete collections for five of them and here is how I dealt with that.

I have Molly and Sam's upright trunk and Kirsten, Addy and Kit's traditional trunks and Lissie's clothes press. I keep all of my initial collections in each trunk and have a banker's box (which is a cardboard box from office max that I sprayed with deacidification spray (from the scrapbooking store) which houses the overflow of the collection. I am more particular about my historicals so all of the sets are in glassine envelopes (photo supply house) which are translucent and are also labeled. These envelopes are acid free and are a bit like wax paper. I also have an inventory of these items.

The traditional trunks are incorporated into the decor of my very formal living room and the uprights are in my office closet. My daughter is beginning her own collection and being that she is five I rarely let her get into my things. She can borrow from time to time but we do make sure everything gets back when she is finished with it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I get the silica packages at wal-mart by picking up the litter on the floor of the shoe aisle and putting it in the box when I buy my daughter's dress shoes. They don't mind because they don't have to pick it up.

Silica is also the active ingredient in dri-out which is available in my supermarket laundry aisle.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have also convinced DH to build rudimentary shelves in the basement "dark corner' that fit the doll boxes and the upright trunks as well as the totes and furniture. Once those are built I will make a vinyl slipcover for the storage unit to keep it safe from any potential leaks and other nasties. My basement is heated so I am not too concerned about cold and we have a dehumidifier going as needed so it is not damp (the mold allergy is useful for something!) I will install track lighting so the dark corner will no longer be dark.

I have been through so many ideas for storage my head is spinning but this seems to be the most efficient. I think Ben is looking forward to getting our home back from the dolls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, your plan sounds actually workable! Because of space limitations, I have all the shoes together, all the jewelry together, all the long dresses and casual clothing in different boxes and the 3-in-1 bed. That's a way to keep everything with limited space but it takes a long time to find components for outfits. I never thought of your printable suggestions. That's a great idea.

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Julia-
    I did the same thing by purchasing a small cabinet at Target and creating hanging rods for the dresses, putting the shoes in lines underneath and putting the jewelry in small boxes but it drove me insane. I could never find anything I was looking for and for some reason all of the shoes for the winter outfits have gone missing thanks to a small boy who loves Coconut [img]eek.gif[/img]

I am pleased and until DH builds the closet I am fine with just stacking totes. Once I get everything sorted I will be able to see what size totes I need and then I will just need to clean all the infant toys out of the dark corner.

I am so proud of myself [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We built a storage closet for doll clothes and accessories. Here is the link to some pictures:
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2130500263

We got the parts from Lowes and the total costed about $65. Well worth it.

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 27, 2005 09:13 PM: Message edited by: ninasmom ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Really nice.

Thanks for sharing it. It is similar to what I tried but I have been at this for at least 15 years and would need a walk in closet to store all of my stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast