Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I think I'm growing out of dolls and stuff.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I'd say if you feel that the 'baby' dolls are, well, too babyish (spelled wrong I know!) then store them away! My DD has gotten rid of all of her 'baby' dolls except for one and she's stored in the hall closet right now. She says that she doesn't want to get rid of her but, she'd rather play with AG's than feed a baby doll a bottle. That's fine with me. I still have some handmade gorgeous dolls that I got as a child and now my DD enjoys them. I still have a Baby Tenderlove from when I was 3 years old and another Baby Tenderlove that talks from when I was 5. I also have a Baby Alive from age 7 too!
    I wouldn't sell these for the world. Did I reach an age that I didn't want to play with BABY dolls? Yep! But I still loved my girly dolls (non baby type) in fact my Mama bought me a doll for my 16th birhtday and my aunt told me that I was too old for dolls! I totally disagreed!
    My sister has always loved Barbies and has collectable Barbies instead of children (she's 35) She did go through phase when she was a pre-teen she gave away all her Barbies, she even gave away a Miss Beasley doll that belonged to her and a Drowsy Doll that was mine! She has always regretted it! In fact she has spent years replacing the ones from her childhood.

So.....my point is this, if you want to put them away do so, I just don't know if you should get rid of them (except the ones that freak you out of course) because they are memories from your childhood that you'll probably want to walk down memory lane with in the future.

Sorry this is so long! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I go through stages where my dolls make me feel really "heavy" and I want them away from me. This is usually when my collection has gone beyond my control and I don't have any space left. I'm in my 30's now so I am able to sell dolls that I no longer want. This is not always an option and in your case probably not the solution.

If I was at an age where I was just outgrowing my dolls the temptation might be to give them away but my experience tells me that with good quality items like AG, you should pack them up very carefully with acid free tissue in boxes and put them away.

You just never know when they might come in handy. They will become more valuable the older they get and plus you may want to give your dolls to your future children or nieces/nephews when they are ready for them.

You might find this experience very cleansing and "renewal" time for you. Perhaps you are at your next stage of personal growth and the dolls are making you feel like you are younger than you really feel.

Just remember to keep all the "bits" - don't just throw them out - you never know what might end up being rare.

Pack them up lovingly and enjoy your new hobby whatever that may turn out to be (making funky jewellery was mine).

Juliette

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've always played with dolls, ever since I got them, and I don't think I've gotten rid of a lot.Only my porcelain ones are display only.

When I was reaching the teenage stage--when most people get rid of dolls due to peer pressure--I kept mine. My mom's friends didn't understand why I wanted to play so much; I grew up in a neighborhood where, as C.S. Lewis said of Susan, girls and boy spent all their time rushing to the silliest age of their lifes and then spent all their time trying to stay there as long as possible. Finally my mom got fed up and said that if I was playing with plastic baby dolls, I wouldn't try to bring home living ones--AKA babies! And no one ever complained about me playing with dolls anymore--or if they did, not to my face.

GreyMyst

Originally posted by Nethilia:
    Finally my mom got fed up and said that if I was playing with plastic baby dolls, I wouldn't try to bring home living ones--AKA babies!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ROFL! Our moms must be related. Mine said almost the same thing! Hooray for our cool dolly friendly moms. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

thepidget

Nethilia - Good for you for sticking to your guns. I bet a lot of kids would cave into peer pressure. And what your mom said was pretty funny, but wise as well...

Also, Naomi and Addy look gorgeous in your siggy. Nice kimonos!

thepidget

Originally posted by Felicity_Fan85:
    Some dolls, in my opinion, are not meant to be kept into adulthood, and others are.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with Felicity Fan on that. When I was little I was REALLY into dog stuffed animals...but as I got older, it was time for me to move on to different interests. Same happened with my Barbies. You should do what you think is best for you. I am glad you are going to keep your AGs, though, because I am sure you will continue to love them even as you grow older.

By the way... What does everyone mean by baby dolls? When I think of baby dolls, I often think of Bitty Babies, which are sweet and aren't scary at all, but you all are probably talking about something completely different. And what do glass dolls look like? Can anyone post photos/links of scary baby/glass dolls? Not that I want to freak anyone out, but I'm curious. [img]eek.gif[/img] I'm not totally familiar with these, except.......

I remember seeing this old doll on eBay, which I think was from the 1950s. That was the ugliest baby doll I had ever seen!! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] I'm so used to seeing cute little Bitty Babies so I didn't think any baby dolls could look scary. [img]frown.gif[/img] Even worse, this doll's name was Chuckles, which I think totally adds to the creepiness factor! Ahhh!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by thepidget:
    [QB

I remember seeing this old doll on eBay, which I think was from the 1950s. That was the ugliest baby doll I had ever seen!! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] I'm so used to seeing cute little Bitty Babies so I didn't think any baby dolls could look scary. [img]frown.gif[/img] Even worse, this doll's name was Chuckles, which I think totally adds to the creepiness factor! Ahhh![/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chuckles...
    Ohh, that is creepy. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123