Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm growing out of dolls and stuff.....

I*love*dolls

I think I'm growing out of dolls and everything....in the last week my best friend told me she didn't like dolls anymore and she thought it was dumb when I asked her to play with my AGs the last time I came over. Another friend told me she hated American Girl. I'll have my American Girls diplayed on a shelf....but my glass dolls scare me...staring at me...plotting against me...LOL. Well, yeah, they creep me out. Plus I am tired of my Baby born sitting in a corner. Last time I played with her is when me and my other best friend were messing ariund with her....force feeding it and everything...with my older brother...it was fun...lol.

So, I plan to pack away some dolls soon...my AGs are the only ones I even dress up and everything. Right now they are on their shelf...so...yeah...now I have to deciede what I want to do with my room. I need another hobby....LOL...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now the question is, are you truly outgrowing them, or do you feel almost like you have to outgrow them because your friends are?

I know that's how it was for me when I was younger. When all of my friends gave up playing with their dolls, I felt like I probably should move on too. And then when I found my beautiful Sam and Josie feeling so neglected years later I kind of felt guilty for letting what my friends were doing affect me.

Especially when I'm totally against changing what I do just because of others. So I dressed and fixed them up and now they're beautiful as ever, with tons of new sisters. I regret that I ever went through that period of neglecting them.

I DO understand about the glass dolls though...my best friend has a porcelein doll that has ALWAYS sorta freaked me out.

Inactive Member american_girl_forever's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, most of my friends hate dolls, especially AG, except for one friend who's a Coconut and Licorice fanatic [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I don't care what they think. After neglecting my dollies for awhile, I was so upset [img]frown.gif[/img] . The poor things. I changed their outfits and brushed their hair and now they are gergeous, and they already have 2 other sisters now, NOT including bittys, and a new sister hwo I'll be getting at AGPNY [img]biggrin.gif[/img] .

Do what makes YOU happy, not your friends [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I*love*dolls

Originally posted by american_girl_forever:
    Yeah, most of my friends hate dolls, especially AG, except for one friend who's a Coconut and Licorice fanatic [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I don't care what they think. After neglecting my dollies for awhile, I was so upset [img]frown.gif[/img] . The poor things. I changed their outfits and brushed their hair and now they are gergeous, and they already have 2 other sisters now, NOT including bittys, and a new sister hwo I'll be getting at AGPNY [img]biggrin.gif[/img] .

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Before you make a "don't give up your dolls for your friends" rally on me, I just want everyone to understand that I'm not giving up on dolls....I am still going to keep a tight interest with American Girl, OK? I hate having baby dolls sitting in my room. I'm going to have an AG shelf in my room still and continue to collect...but only for AG. I have a Cinderella glass doll that always seems to be looking at me when I'm in bed...I just watched that old 80s movie called Polteregeist and that part where the clown becomes alvie freaks me out and I hate having my dolls stare at me....lol.

13Pumpkins

Moving on from something you love because of your friends being snots is never a good thing! If you enjoy your AG's, then it doesn't matter what your friends say. I don't really care what people say about me with my dolls. I've had some unpleasnt things about them. But I don't care, because they make me happy.
    If you are tired of having a little girl/dolly room, you can always redecorate. Make it more grown up, but your AG's will still look good in a more 'adult room'.
    It always amuses me that some dolls can scare people! [img]tongue.gif[/img] That's one of the reasons why I like them so much is that they are spoooooky!
    Hope you are able to get it figured out!
    [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

13Pumpkins

Originally posted by I*love*dolls:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by american_girl_forever:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Before you make a "don't give up your dolls for your friends" rally on me, I just want everyone to understand that I'm not giving up on dolls....I am still going to keep a tight interest with American Girl, OK? I hate having baby dolls sitting in my room. I'm going to have an AG shelf in my room still and continue to collect...but only for AG. I have a Cinderella glass doll that always seems to be looking at me when I'm in bed...I just watched that old 80s movie called Polteregeist and that part where the clown becomes alvie freaks me out and I hate having my dolls stare at me....lol.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sorry if it seems to be a 'rally' on you. Everyone is trying to help, by sharing their own expiriences.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well if you only want AGs sell the others and buy more stuff for them. But take your time and be for sure this is what you really want to do or you might be sorry.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If YOU are really growing out of dolls, by all means pack them up! If it's not really you, just your friends, don't pack them up yet.

I had my dolls out for about a year after my other AG friends stopped playing with theirs. By then they were more displays, though.

I packed up my (then 3) AGs in 1998, with the intention of keeping them for a future daughter (hahaha), and unpacked it all in 2004 (when I bought Lissie). It was like opening a huge present, as I had forgotten a few of the outfits I had.

Or, it might make you feel better to put each doll in your favorite outfit of theirs, and pack everything else up, and keep the dolls out as displays for awhile. Even if your friends make fun of you, you can always say that they're expensive dolls, and you want to keep them out so you can see them whenever you want.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it's okay for you to move your AGs from being play dolls to shelf dolls.

When I started growing out of playing dolls (as opposed to growing out of dolls) I made a plan that I would dress them seasonally- so they got changed 4-6 times a year. I really thought they added to my room. They all sat on a shelf and rarely came down.

I do have to admit that the movie toy story 2 made me cry in high school because of the song jesse sings about being left under the bed and forgotten about. I went home and apologized to all my AGs.

I*love*dolls

Yup, I am will not be packing any AG things away for a while atleast. I can't redecorate my room becuase I am getting my brother's old room in 2 years. Believe me, I am counting off the days. Plus I don't really need to pack away AG clothes becuase I have this orgonizer thingy that doesn't shout out "OOH OOH! LOOK AT ME! I CARRY LITTLE DOLLY CLOTHES! YIPEE!" and anything else is safely under my bed where no one can see, so that's good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast