Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Please PM me about it too. I'm actually highly focused academically on that part of history (I'm a grad student), and I wasn't planning on reading any of those, but now I'd like to know what its about. Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ria, I don't understand why you're so upset, but I admit, I haven't read the book yet, but they're all on order. If it's about the German internment camps, it is part of our history, though little known, and I don't see a problem with it being discussed. Other sensitive issues have been addressed in AG books.

As I said in the thread about the uproar on the Samantha book, we're always after AG to give us new stories about the girls, and when they do, it sounds like a lot of you are still complaining they're not appropriate for girls to read.

Read it, read it with them, be open to dialog about the book, express your viewpoints or disagreements with the books, whatever, but, I just don't get it. [img]confused.gif[/img]

Laurie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Could you PM me about it? I know you are probably getting bombarded with inquiring minds...but, I'd love to know if you have a chance to share with me. Thanks....Oh and I am 26(...plus a few years), but I decided to just stop count and stay 26 for quite a while! LOL!

rolloverrover

Thanks for PMing me and letting me know, Ria.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am almost done reading the Molly book. I ordered it with the Sam and Kit books on overstock.com but so far that is the only one I've received. I really liked the book, maybe because I love the story of Anne Frank.

I thought at first that because the primary characters in the story other than Molly and her grandparents were German Jews(although it doesn't say anywhere they're Jews but their last name is a common Jewish last name) it would have to do with the Holocaust, but it really doesn't. I personally think that it was an important and little known part of history, but this is coming from someone in her late 20s with no children.

The books say they are for 9 and up, not 8 and up. If your daughters have read Nancy Drew(or think that they could read Nancy Drew) and enjoyed it and not had any problems with that, they could probably read this. Nancy Drew is even mentioned in the story!

Just my opinion, but use your own judgement.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My oldest daughter read this book as have I. We both liked it. But I will admit she had a few questions while she was reading it and we spent some time talking about things. All in all, I think its a good book, but be prepared for the questions that may follow.

Bonnie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

pm me too! sorry

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would like to know as well as I plan to buy all four books in a couple weeks. It may affect that. Please Pm me, anyone. Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    To be honest, before receiving the PM about this book I was really curious, but now that I know what it's about....Well, I read about similar things around that age. About 8-10 years old is when I learned all about these things. I actually learned them from a Babysitter's Club book. I think that the 9-12 age group on the back is probably accurate, and that most girls in that age could handle it without a problem. By all means, read it first, but I don't think there's any reason to think a girl that age would have a serious problem with it. I mean, girls that age lived through it too. BTW, must recommend a book for adults on a similar, but more obscure topic: Shanghai Diary. Excellent, though some subject matter is probably 16 and up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can you PM me too?

The only AG book that has led to my DD ever having a mildly negative reaction has been a Kirsten book. One night I found her screaming with fright in the middle of the night - apparently she dreamed that she, like Kirsten, had gotten lost in the woods. I wouldn't have predicted that a Kirsten story would scare her more than other AG stories...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast