Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I must say I am intrigued. My father emmigrated from Germany in the late 1950's and refused to discuss anything that happened during the war and refused to even teach us German. His English was perfect because he refused to talk German from day one.

Our family was cattle farmers. He would talk about farming and birthing calves but nothing else. It is tragic we lost that aspect of our family history.

courtneysunshine

Lorie how sad. I think a family's history to be one of the most interesting things. It is great to read about history, but to talk to those who actually experienced it is a whole different matter. I remember having newly immigrated Russian neighbors in the early 90's. They were anti-Russian and refused to speak the language. They wanted to be totally Americanized. I remember telling them they should retain their knowledge of the language and remember their experiences growing up in Russia, but they wanted nothing to do with the country. How sad for their children. I am sure your Father must have some very painful memories to keep him from discussing them with you.

Kim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hitler's mother was treated by Jewish doctors but she died. That is what I have read caused him to hate Jews. I believe I read this in Alice Miller's book that profiled his upbringing ( I can't remember which of her books did this). She felt the way he was raised - to think himself unworthy yet superior to everyone else had a lot to do with what he became. I think it at least had to do with how he manifested his insanity.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He also believed that his father was the illegitemate child of a Jewish merchant. He destroyed an entire town in Austria just to get rid of his father's birth certificate. I recently watched a "new" documentary that compared the childhoods of Hitler and Stalin and it was quite interesting. They were raised in very similar ways and turned out much the same. (except that Stalin managed to kill about twice as many Jews as Hitler did)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The recipe is Kit's book is an Hungarian dessert called Kiflis. It personally wouldn't work for me since I have a health condition, but it looks good! Here are a couple online if you missed out on the one in the paperback:

http://www.biglove.lvhr.com/recipes/...ngari3.html#01
    http://www.biglove.lvhr.com/recipes/...ngari3.html#02

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good news! I have a couple of updates on the Molly "Looking Back" section:

1) Alison Hart did not write the "Looking Back" section of Molly's book.

2) The mistake is going to be fixed in the next printing! [img]smile.gif[/img]

They handled this so promptly! The lady who responded was very, very nice.

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 08, 2005 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I am glad you made a difference Melissa.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know I don't post much any more, but I just had to post an update to this thread! [img]smile.gif[/img]

AG was very gracious about the mistake, and sent me eight historical AG books to give to the girl I mentor. (I thought I was getting one--so sweet of them!) I can't wait for her to see them today. AG is definitely a company with integrity that really values accuracy. (And is very generous, too.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm always glad to hear examples of how the company still has excellent customer service. Thank you for taking this on so future readers will get the "real story."

- Becca

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678