Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by DaisyDee:
    As person of Scandanavian descent (Norwegian) I logically know that the correct pronounciation for her family would have been choice A. But, being the thoroughly Americanized person that I am, I pronounce it like Kersten. My family's last name is Iverson, which we pronounce EYE-ver-sun. Originally it would have been spelled Iversen, but many names anding in -sen were changed to -son when families immigrated to America. Our name literally means "son of Iver." The correct pronounciation would have been EE-ver-sen. Historically, the children's last name was taken for the first name of the father. For example, if your name was Lars Oleson, you were the son of Ole. If you had a son named Hans, he became Hans Larson, and so on.

On a total side note, as a huge fan of Little House on the Prairie growing up, I loved thinking how if the Oleson family had continued that tradition of passing on the father's name, instead of Willie Oleson, we would have had Willie Nelson!

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ May 23, 2006 12:17 AM: Message edited by: DaisyDee ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's all very interesting!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As person of Scandanavian descent (Norwegian) I logically know that the correct pronounciation for her family would have been choice A. But, being the thoroughly Americanized person that I am, I pronounce it like Kersten. My family's last name is Iverson, which we pronounce EYE-ver-sun. Originally it would have been spelled Iversen, but many names anding in -sen were changed to -son when families immigrated to America. Our name literally means "son of Iver." The correct pronounciation would have been EE-ver-sen. Historically, the children's last name was taken for the first name of the father. For example, if your name was Lars Oleson, you were the son of Ole. If you had a son named Hans, he became Hans Larson, and so on.

On a total side note, as a huge fan of Little House on the Prairie growing up, I loved thinking how if the Oleson family had continued that tradition of passing on the father's name, instead of Willie Oleson, we would have had Willie Nelson!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 23, 2006 12:17 AM: Message edited by: DaisyDee ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use to say it like B but then my cousin who has liked AG longer then me said I was saying it wrong and that it was said like A. So I have said it like A ever since.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use to say it like B but then my cousin who has liked AG longer then me said I was saying it wrong and that it was said like A. So I have said it like A ever since.

mori

Originally posted by simplepretty:
    I asked a Swedish woman how it is supposed to be pronounced and she sais "Schursten" actually, without even the K sound . . .

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ May 22, 2006 03:50 PM: Message edited by: simplepretty ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is really interesting! I would like to actually hear it said correctly. I hate it when I find out I'm mispronouncing things....I always say it Keersten. I'm actually going to see if I can find a baby name site of swedish names that pronounces them. I found one for french names, which is why I know how to correctly pronounce my Noel's name. I'll post it if I do find one.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by simplepretty:
    I asked a Swedish woman how it is supposed to be pronounced and she sais "Schursten" actually, without even the K sound . . .

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same here! I was also told that was the correct pronounciation. I will have to ask my pen-pal in Norway to say it for me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kirsten is pronounced KERSTahN - K as in "key (K.IY)" ; ER as in "hurt (HH.ER.T)" ; S as in "sea (S.IY)" ; T as in "tea (T.IY)" ; AH as in "hut (HH.AH.T)" ; N as in "knee (N.IY)"

Hear the mp3 pronunciation at this page: http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Kirsten/f

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Tommiles,

Thanks so much for your interest in Kirsten!

We've moved! Please join us at our new site. You can find more information in the threads listed at the top of the page.

See you soon!
    Joy
    (Moderator Team)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345