Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This just arrived, and I don't like it! The fabric is not cotton, it's a very thin taffeta. The stripes are just printed on, not woven in. I showed it to a friend of mine who said it feels like parachute material - and she'e right! I think I'm going to send it back.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know the fabric has been an issue for several people. I like it best when she wears her white meet shift underneath - it gives the outfit a more substantial feeling.

Inactive Member MareGathersWords's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wish it would've been cotton, but it's so pretty that it wasn't a disappointment for me. I love how Felicity looks in it, and I'm sure they had some silk-like materials back then. Isn't her Christmas dress made of similair material? I don't have it, but I always assumed it was....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know a lot of people have had complaints about the fabric of this dress, but I really like it! I don't see why they wouldn't have had taffeta in colonial times - her Christmas dress is taffeta, and no one has questioned the accuracy of that dress. Granted, the Christmas dress material is thicker, but it's still taffeta. The traveling dress does look and feel nicer with the shift underneath, otherwise it's a little too see-through. I imagine Felicity would have loved the material of this dress; it would have felt so nice and cool compared to her heavier cotton dresses in hot summer weather.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I adore Felicity's traveling gown. It is the same fabric as her Christmas gown but thinner. The color of the traveling gown is what does it for me. Felicity's pretty green eyes just pop when she wears this outfit.

That's why I love you all on this Board! You are pickier about the fabric of your dolls' clothes than I am about the fabric of my own daughters' clothes! But I can understand why some may view the fabric as a tad thin, since it is.

Janie3082

I'm sorry that some of you are disappointed in this dress. When you pay good money for something (especially from AG) you expect the quality to be very good! I personally love this dress. It is a little thin and I couldn't fit it on Felicity with her shift on underneath it, but I love the color purple and it looks really cute on her. The mob cap and choker are perfect with the dress, and so cute! Does AG use this fabric often? It does somewhat resemble one of my shower curtains, kind of a light/sheer fabric. Anyway, I love the dress on my Felicity, and she was happy to have an extra outfit! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really like this dress. I bought it at AGP-Chicago so I wasn't surprised by the fabric like I am with some catalogue orders. Maybe the dress will grow on you. I think it is very pretty on Felicity.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think taffeta was invented around Samantha's time. I agree with Katie. I don't have a problem with the travel gown. I think it's really pretty and it looks nice on Felicity. The cap is a really fine material, perfect for summer! Lace Felicity into her stays for a better fit with the dress.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They didn't have material like that during Felicity's time, but they did have some silks that were similar to her Christmas dress. The technology to get the fabric that thin and shiny didn't exist during the Georgian period. Bolt fabric was just coming in and artificial dyes hadn't been invented yet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like this dress and rationalize the material as being a lighter weight for the warmer months. Although I know this wouldn't have been true of colonial fabric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast