Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh my. We've got our first bad storm of the year coming in. And I'm worried what to do with the girls. My closet is cluttered and I don't want to get them dirty, but the wall their shelf is on is an outside wall. :/ I know if looks like tornado weather they'll have to sit on a blanket in my closet to stay safe. I love my girls and I wouldn't be able to replace them the way I could ponies or Breyers because they just each have a personality to them.

Anyone else have storm plans for their dolls? Living in Michigan, our two biggest weather threats are snowstorms and severe thunderstorms/tornados. This is why ultimately I want to have an AG sized doll house in the basement...the room we're making a mega den out of. Then the ones that are upstairs can do down and just have a big sleepover, lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mare, maybe you can purchase a waterproof air tight box or trunk, something like that and have that for the AGs. I know it will be bad if they get ruined and you so upset. I hope they and you stay safe in the tornado weather this season. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My tornado plan (we have tornados not far from our area tonight, in fact) is to gather up all the dolls and take them down into the basement with us when we have to. Tonight, there are only severe thunderstorm warnings so we won't go into the basement. There are tornado warnings in 2 nearby counties. I hear the thunder starting now!

Our basement is finished and has a play area and TV area so the dolls will just sit on the couches with us while we ride out the storms. We can play with them. Unfortunately, I really couldn't bring all the furniture and accessories downstairs. I guess if something really bad happened, I would just have to claim it on my homeowner's insurance.

Wow, just as I was finishing this post, my house and yard was blasted with atremendous amount of pea size hail. It is really loud and my poor dog is shaking with fear.

courtneysunshine

We had to deal with this same issue this past summer when we had three major hurricanes coming towards us. The first hurricane was Charley. Had it not veered off, it wouldn't have mattered what my dolls were in, they would have been ruined. Besides the wind, our major threat is flooding because we live on a river that is a mile from the Gulf of Mexico. When Charley was heading for us, I tried to gather up all our dolls and put them upstairs. I got halfway through and then realized I just didn't care. There were more important things to think about at the time and as long as we were safe, I didn't care if we lost the dolls. They are just things and could always be replaced. I didn't even try to move them for the other two.

We are just a few months away from hurricane season again and the subject has come up again. We have a safe room in case there is a tornado, but there isn't enough room for all of us and the dolls. When we move we are going to build a safe house in case of hurricanes, but until then, we have pictures of all our doll things and our insurance policy is updated to include all the dolls.

Kim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While living in Miami, I always did the same thing when a hurricane was approaching. We had a big sturdy trunk in the living room as an end table in a place away from windows. When a storm approached, I wrapped all valuable dolls and books in plastic bags, then placed them in the trunk and secured the lid shut. Then the trunk was placed in a huge heavy trash bag.

Judging from what took place in friends' houses, having their roofs ripped off and lots of water damage etc, I'd say my dolls would have been fine as long as the water level didn't rise above 2 inches in the house. If a wall fell on the trunk, well, that would be a different matter. Fortunately, despite our neighbors having major damage during Hurricane Andrew, our house did not get damaged so I don't know how well my dolls would fare in the trunk.

Julia