Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When we went to dinner after visiting AGPLA, my Husband was commenting that we had a lot of dolls, maybe the most on the west coast. We only have only 10, so really not too many-----I said that is nothing and we were telling him about you all---especially prasnlrd because you are on the West Coast also, but all the board members actually. I need to convince him that we need more dolls because I definately do not have enough!!!! LOL

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL My DH doesn't understand either. Everytime I show him a doll and tell him isn't she so cute he looks at me like I'm crazy,and says they look like dolls. He says he doesn't get it. But he'll say get what we girls want, "but I just don't understand it". He thinks it must be a girl thing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been working on my DH. I'm trying to talk him into taking a drive to AGPC (with a bribe of being able to stop along the way and play a couple of good golf courses), and I printed out a picture of Maria's doll mansion yesterday because I sooooo want one similar to that.

He "thought" I had a lot of dolls and that I was silly until I could prove to him that there were people like prsnlord and AG Teacher who still have more dolls than I do! He rolls his eyes at me and doesn't get it, but he lets me get the stuff I want (within reason). He also leaves me alone when he sees me toting dolls around the house...as I am a typical cancerian that has to have a little cubby hole to read...and I will often carry one around until I find a comfortable spot to curl up in with a book. I sit them on my lap or next to me while I read. I guess it's kinda weird, but I feel like my dolls are my own "personal friends". I don't talk aloud to them, but I think conversations between us.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HA! Tell him that 10 dolls is what we call a good start! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Actually, when I got up to 8 dolls is when my DH started to get uneasy, and asked me how many AG dolls I "needed".

"All of them", I said.

Well, below is what I told another board member in reply to her post last September, on how could she explain the appeal of AG to her DH--
    Just tell him "If I have to explain it to you, you'd never understand."

Actually, you can explain how you really feel a connection to the deep-down wholesomeness and the message of one's American heritage that is tied in to this line of historically accurate, heirloom-quality dolls.

(Wow, maybe I should get a job with AG's PR department!) Good luck trying to explain the unexplainable to your DH!

(Mine just thinks I've gone barking mad, and smiles tolerantly, but condescendingly)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

joelanddeborah

Robin, That is the best answer I've ever seen, and I'm copying it, if you don't mind!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My DH thinks we have a lot of dolls and we only have 8 AGs! But, we have a lot of furniture, accessories, clothes, a My Twinn and 4 Cuddly Sisters. It takes up a lot of room.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by AsianAG:
    HA! Tell him that 10 dolls is what we call a good start! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">'zactly...

Taffy (who is on the West Coast with 65+ AG-style dolls)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am new to the doll collecting scene. I have 2 Gotz dolls and am saving up for my first AG. When I asked DH to build me a curio he said sure.(He loves power tools) When I told him I wanted to fill it up with dollies he just gave me a funny look.

Maybe he can't understand why I want lots of dolls but then I can't understand why he needs 3 drills, but hey if he builds me stuff for my dollies he can have as many drills as he wants!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

3 drills are very, very good if they are used to make dolly furniture. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Inactive Member sewfancydolldesigns's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My husband doesn't get it either, which is why I decided to sell all my AGs a couple of weeks ago. But, when I started talking to potential buyers, I realized I really didn't want to part with all of them. In fact, I only sold three AGs and a Tonner Baking Gingerbread. I do get tired of defending my doll hobby to my family. They all think I've got a screw loose.

Patricia

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast