Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yesterday my dd's backordered Josefina's loom arrived, and I thought I'd post a review of a number of her things that might not be the first item you'd order:

The loom itself is well designed and sturdy. It's plastic where it needs to be and wood where it needs to be wood. I learned to weave back in 1971 and have played around with a lot of looms, both real and toy and I am very impressed with this one. It is meant to be used. The only part that concenrs me is that the well designed clamp is plastic and if turned too tight it could torque and break.

The shuttle is especially impressive - properly used it could last indefinately and it is a great design for real use - I like how it holds the yarns on.

Speaking of yarn - it's 100% wool. I did a burn test. Very nice stuff. Thank goodness my sister spins though - you can't order a refill, unless it is one of those oddball items avaialable seperately. I may call because I also want more shuttles.

My dd found the instructions a bit overwhelming and they are uneccessarily wordy, seems to me. The work of weaving is all in the warping ( running the string that will serve as the skeleton of the piece) and that part is done. All you really need to know is you lift the heddles ( which are string held together by a bar) pass the wool underneath one direction and pick your way back. Place your wool in at a diagonal and then pul the loose end down so you get a curve, and then beat the string down with the beater (they call it a fork) from the starting end. I always pinch the starting end while I do this, just to be sure. This will give you even edges, if you practise a bit. Unfortunately the instructions do not give this method, they give one that is not as reliable. I have not read any of the text - it's 16 pages long and what my dd didn't intuit I quickly showed her.

I'd give the loom an A and not grade the instructions since we didn't read them through.

The desk - we've had this for about a year I think, although it spend another year in my closet, where I occassionally admired it. We both love this thing - it is used in my dd's post office and is perfect for holding the AG sized stamps I made her plus coins, etc. When we first got it the painted part annoyed me quite a bit - it is just a cheap xerox and I think it should have been done like Kaya's parfletch to look like leather. But with time I stopped noticing that detail, and the overall fineness of the piece impresses me every time I look at it. The dolls love it and use it constantly. We own Felicity's, Addys and Samantha's desks too, and this one is by far the most used and appreciated.

Grade: A

Josefina's cocina: I love her foodstuffs - very pleasing in every way. Too darned bad they won't fit in that lump of styrafoam they call an oven. Don't get me wrong, the oven looks lovely, but it is just plain too small ( and yet it's huge) for the dolls to use. The bread paddle must be turned sideways to get in the door and then you dump your bread on the way in. To do it again, I'd make my own and see if I could order the bread seperately or make that too. It also has no stand so you have to figure out a way to use it. Once you've made a proper stand, you'll wonder why you didn't just make the whole thing. It's really only for display.

Grade - D for dumbest item in the line.

Josefina's nighttime necessities: I just got this and have not given it to my dd yet - Santa gets that pleasure. I was pleasantly surprised by the carved top of the box - I thought it was plain and even thoguh I've seen it in many catalogues this never registered. It has a scene stamped in ( but looks like carving). Then, as I opened the box, a lovely scent wafted up - lavender soap. You really get a sliver of lavender soap, whch evokes the story - nice touch and one I'd like to see repeated in other items by this company. Each of the other items in the box is also pleasing.

The washstand bowl is stunning - much nicer than the photo showed, I htought. You never know with these things - is it a bad decal or really hand painted? In this case it looks good enough to be hand painted. The towel is the same as someone elses - is it Felicity's? It surprised me and didn't quite seem right for Josefina, but no biggie.

Grade: A.

Toy Farm: This is retired, but for those of you who might one day find it: nice little set that is very much like my antique German Putz. I only wish they'd done bottle brush trees whcih would make it look older, but it's charming anyway. And it would have more play value if they dropped one of the buildings in favor of more animals.

Grade B+

Santa Fe Summer Fun: another retired item but one that shows up on occassion. Lots of value to this set. The telescope is bound with faux leather and is heavy brass iwht a real glass so it actually does magnify and it is well made. I saw the very same one in people size a couple years ago. The ocarina does play - with the one hole you can get two notes out of it. It's clay and authentic and probably something that could be found in Mexico or Peru (ocarinas are actually Peruvian). The turtle is cute as turtles go and made of plastic. I was glad he is not too new looking - just right. The miror is just like a big one woudl be - really neat liottle piece that pps out of it's cover and has a pull back stand so you can put it on a dresser. The flags are fabric.

Grade A for both quality and play value.

Overall, I think Josefina is kind of a sleeper doll - you really don't see how lovely she or her things are untill you have them in your hand. I think that for those of us who have lived near Mexico, we are conditioned to seeing low grade tourist items and expect less of her than we might of the others. I think she is a little limiting in p[ay value for children who relate less with her story, but the doll and things are delightful and by and large great value.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Popsie, I'd agree with all your comments as well. Except for the adobe oven that is still on backorder we also have all of those items, though they are not all "out" yet. I can't wait until I have everything in place for Josefina. Only item I still need is her table and chairs and I would also love to get her chest one day. The cocina supplies are just my favorite.

Laurie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually just put the adobe on oven on my wish list. I like her cocina supplies as well. She has such neat food.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like they must have changed Josefina's oven:-/ Mine is PM and it fits the bread board fine. Granted its a little small, but it doesn't have those problems. What a shame they changed it. It really was a lovely item.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does the paddle fit in yours also? Okay, I just went back and tried again. If you put the loaf of bread on the paddle and run it in from the very bottom of the oven, it does fit. I don't like to do that because I am afraid I will scrape the paint off.

So, ammend my comments, to say it does not fit easily - might be hard for a younger child to master. It may also be that these ovens vary somewhat in size, depending on how they are made. The oven reminds me of spray on insulating foam that grows and then dries just like this - of it is made the same way, the door might dry larger on some than others. Come to think of it, spray on insulating foam might be just the thing for making a whole kitchen for Josefina, if someone is adventurous - but be careful with that stuff!

Popsie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the great reviews! I know everyone is looking forward to Felicity's additions this coming fall, but I would sure love to see Josefina's retired items come back. Her piano looks gorgeous!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the reviews, my DD loves Josefina and I am trying to collect her items to give it to her for her b'day and Christmas. I still don't even have the doll yet but I have the outfits and some accessories!
    I would love to get the retired items too. The Toy Farm went on ebay this last week for $79-out of my budget!