Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was planning to watch Texas Ranch House on PBS, and I'm very sorry if anyone took that as a sign that they should watch it too. I normally love those PBS "house" shows (where they take X number of people and have them life life like they did in Y year for Z months). I'm not sorry I watched this one, but so much of it was literally painful to watch. They usually have people get into arguments, but I've never seen such unnecessary discord in any of those shows, ever. IMO it's a good thing they didn't allow the people to have guns, because someone might've wound up dead. [img]eek.gif[/img]

If anyone wants to discuss any of the many, many, MANY things that went wrong for the people in the show (or even say they liked it), feel free. But I just wanted to apologize if anyone happened to read my comment and watched it expecting a fun time, because I don't feel that they delivered this series. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL, I saw this too. I thought it was pretty cheesy... they were constantly arguing. And at the end, they were mad that the "expert" people didn't give them a better report. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't believe the women expected the experts to think it was OK to have the kitchen so infested with flies that they couldn't even eat in it. (I LOLed that they were so surprised to get a poor rating, though, especially after leaving dishes sit for 8 days...I'm a VERY poor housekeeper and I don't let my dishes sit THAT long at home, where I'm not being graded for it! I know I'd do terribly on one of those shows, but I'm pretty sure I would've taken the effort to keep the flies away from the house; swarms of flies freak me out.)

Well, luckily, no one died from any of the unsanitary conditions in either of the kitchens! (OK, OK, I'll stop ranting now, but my goodness!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah this one was definately the worst. WHAT were the Cooke women THINKING when the men went away? OY! I was also not pleased with the way Mrs. Cooke tried to run the ranch. I liked Robbie, the vaquero the best. He was the only one who knew what he was doing.
    Did anyone else see the real life grown up Josefina in the Fandango episode? She was the Spanish women the men invited back to the bunk house.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked Robbie the best too.

The show was full of discord. I agree that the Cookes' surprise at their low rating was ridiculous. The flies were disgusting- and the horse waste just outside the house as well.

There's an interview with Maura, the maid-cum-cowgirl, in the latest issue of a magazine whose subtitle is "Feminist Response to Pop Culture."

It always intrigues me that people sign up knowing that they're going back in time- and then refuse to accept the consequences (like not wearing the clothes of the period. Remember Mrs. Cooke running out to meet the men in her underwear? Or in Frontier House, when the couple ran away to steal the modern mattress?).

I did really enjoy Colonial House and Frontier House. This one just wasn't as good. It bugged me how Mr. Cooke was so wishy-washy and never stood up for what he believed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by colette denali:
    I liked Robbie the best too.

It always intrigues me that people sign up knowing that they're going back in time- and then refuse to accept the consequences (like not wearing the clothes of the period. Remember Mrs. Cooke running out to meet the men in her underwear? Or in Frontier House, when the couple ran away to steal the modern mattress?).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That always bugs me. Of course, if I were on my favorite show, Manor House, I would have snuck off to join the Suffragists [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Frontier House" was my favorite, but most of those people tried (excepting mattress couple ;P ). I found that time period the most challenging, and it was so neat that they had to build some houses, plus, the experiences actually seemed to do the families some good. And, I watched that one with my mom and dad, so it's special to me. (My favorite family was the "1940s House" though. [img]smile.gif[/img] ) But I really enjoyed almost all of them.

My favorite STORY comes from "Manor House," though; I was reading on the PBS website, and a couple of the people would be walking to town along a main highway in their Manor House clothes, and when a car came by they'd just freeze and people would think they were ghosts. I want to do that someday!

(The girl of all work was saying that they were told to be their 21st century selves on the show, BTW. That sounds stupid to me, but that could be what they were told.)

MapleLeaf

I caught a bit of Texas Ranch House over the week and honestly did not enjoy it much. My favourite is the "1940's House."

Nia [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually liked Texas Ranch House, though I agree with several of the comments made about it. But I didn't like it in the same way that I really loved 1900 House. That one is still my favorite of the House shows.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was really surprised at the lack of respect towards the women. (If my daughters ever bring home a guy like that, he'll get the boot!) At the same time, they should have made tried harder to make sure the cowboys had enough edible food. I thought both groups had their lazy moments, especially the Cookes.