Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Outlet

ponydreamer

DH and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in June. June is a terrible time of the year for us to get away, because of the farm. We are thinking we could sneak away for a couple of days, max. So we are planning to go somewhere, here, in WI. I tried to get him to go to Chicago, but he hates big cities. So, I am thinking Oshkosh, for the air museum, and the AG Outlet. For those of you who have been there, is it worth it? It doesn't need to be fabulous. I just want to find something different to do.

DH would love to just go to northern WI and take the boat....and fish for two days! [img]confused.gif[/img]

Editing to add: We've been to teh air museum, but not the outlet. I guess that is what I was wondering about.... [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 22, 2005 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Ponydreamer ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was a lot of girls' clothing there when we went last summer. However, there were outfits for dolls--AG, Bitty and Angelina. There was a bargain table there with spare shoes and stuff like that.

I was there with DD for about an hour and a half. We also went downtown near the zoo. There is a public beach and it wasn't too crowded.

It was neat to see and to save some $$ but I got a lot of clothes for DD there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked the EAA Museum very much much to my surprise. The Outlet store is fun to go to but it is not in anyway a shopping experience like American Girl Place. I would consider staying in Appleton rather than Oshkosh and check out the Paper Valley Inn which people I know have enjoyed.

Happy Anniversary!! My anniversary is June 2. We honeymooned in Fish Creek in Door County. We often go back for our anniversary. I like to stay at the White Gull Inn. I like to go to Pennisula State Park along Lake Michigan. I don't like having a June anniversary because my kids have all played baseball and it is hard to get away. An October anniversary would have been more convenient, LOL.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jenny-when exactly is your anniversary? The outlet has an annual warehouse sale every June. This year it will be June 9-12. If you were coming to Oshkosh for the outlet, that would really be the time to plan a trip around. They never have dolls(the outlet store doesn't either), and usually don't have much for furniture (in years past they have had the retired bitty baby changing tables, lullabye basket, patio furniture, school table/chairs-no historical items). They do have great deals on the doll clothes, and some accessories-usually items that have recently been retired or will be going out soon. They are usually half price if they are the complete set and less if some pieces are missing or have been substituted with a co-ordinating piece, but from a different set.

You don't need tickets to get in, but the line gets really long, so it's a good idea to come early to get a place in line. Lots of people bring those chairs-in-a-bag things and everyone sits and visits. I think it's really fun, but if your husband is anything like mine, I'd probably have him sleep in at the hotel or send him off fishing. [img]wink.gif[/img] Rick just doesn't get it.

The best day IMO to come is the first day, on Thurs. but they do usually add a few new items each additional day to keep people coming back. In years past, if you spent a certain amount (I think it was 100.00 but I'm not positive) you could show the receipt at the outlet store, which is in the same strip mall as the warehouse sale, and get 10% off your purchase at the store.

Since Mattel bought AG, they also have one side of the warehouse with lots of Mattel products. I know there was a lot of Pooh items, rescue rangers?-those superhero firemen/cops, disney little princess items, ect. They were really cheap-less than 50% of their regular price. I didn't care much because my kids are way past that stage, but I did buy some of the baby items to have for baby gifts.

If you couldn't arrange your trip to be during the sale (don't know when your daughter's graduation is), maybe you could just plan it to pass thru Oshkosh. The outlet is nice, but it's no AGPC. I can't imagine that it would take you more than an hour to do your shopping, and that would be taking your time. If you have any other questions about the sale, let me know.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I went to the June Warehouse Sale last year with DD and had a ball! The prices were great! All the Coconut sets were $3. Some outfits like the blue flowered nightgown with mask and slippers were $8. The line was fairly long (about 30 minute wait), but you don't need tickets. After going to the warehouse sale, I went to the Outlet store and bought some clothes for my DD and some books. If you spent $200 at the Warehouse sale (not hard to do)you got an additional discount at the Outlet store. I can't remember if it was an extra 20% off or 10% off.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mandasmom - I must have been typing my earlier post at the same time as you. When I went to the sale, it was in the early afternoon so I think the lines are not as long. They still had a great selection of items. Are you going to go again this year?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jenny - Have you ever gone to Bayfield up north by the Apostle Islands? I was reading about the area and it sounds like a beautiful place for an anniversary trip. It would be about a 5 hour drive for me, but I think you are closer.

ponydreamer

Judi...Our anniversary is June 1st! Happy Anniversary to you, too! We were just talking about going to Door county. [img]wink.gif[/img] I think that is what we are leaning towards right now.

We've been to Bayfield. It's nice, but I think it was my least favorite trip we've ever taken. I don't really know why, either. We love Hayward. In fact, Molly would go there every single year, if we could.

We really don't want to get too far from home, in case we have to get back quickly. I'm a bit nervous leaving the kids to do all of the chores themselves. They can easily handle it, but ..well...that's just the way I am.

Mandasmom...The weekend you are talking about the sale being, is the weekend we would probably go! But I know my DH would not enjoy the sale. He would tolerate the outlet store, but that's probably it. The sale sounds like lots of fun.

Judi...we're in the same boat as you with Baseball. Usually summer ball doesn't start here until the second week of June. We are hoping that we can squeeze in a couple of days before that starts. The problem used to be that first crop hay was ready around that time, but now we rent our fields, and don't make hay. When we were first married, though, I could have smacked myself for getting married during first crop!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you go to Door County, couldn't you route yourself through Oshkosh? Your DH could take in the EAA Museum and drop you off at the Outlet Sale!!!! The museum is right across the highway from the outlet mall. It would take a couple of hours but it might be a fun diversion.

ponydreamer

Hmmm...good idea, Judi! I'll have to mention it!

Going to the outlet isn't as exciting as AGP, but I guess I want to explore all of my AG shopping options! LOL!!!!

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 22, 2005 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Ponydreamer ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast