Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a surprise last night. I went Geocaching with DH and some friends..one of the caches we found was an ammo box buried in the forest and inside was two little AG backpack books...you know I took them...lol.
    I didnt think I would ever find AG items in caches....but I guess there really are AG lovers that Geocache.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What is Geocache?
    Thanks, Kristin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Geocaching is a worldwide sport of hide and seek...people hide stuff and you try to find it with the help of a GPS....some things are as big as an ammo box full of trinkets and some are a little as the fingernail on your tiniest finger..and some are virtual caches which are nothing except what you see...If that is the case you have answer questions and email the answers to the owner of the cache. In eache cache there usually is a log of some kind that you must sign to prove you were there..The idea is to claim as many caches as you can. You can go to the website and download the coordinates for each cache and it will give you clues on how to find them..Some of them are theme caches...for example we have one that is all state quarters...if you take something, you have to leave something...another is a kids cache...little toys for kids...and yet another, the tackle box....no need to explain that one...we did one last weekend it was plumbing supply...lol......It is a great fun, very addictive check out the website.http://www.geocaching.com/ .fun for the whole family children and adults alike
    We have over three hundred in my state alone and it is a very small state..Check it out...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

That sounds so cool!
    That should so be something they let the geosci majors get to do for fun during field camp...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We did that at GS Camp this past weekend. It was fun.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read about this in Family fun Mag. and it sounded like so much fun! According to the article it is becoming really popular and many familys are becoming healthier because they don't realize that they're exercising at the same time!

About how much does a GPS unit cost to get into Geocaching??? I've been interested in doing this as a family activity but, have kind of dropped the ball on it.

thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay I'm hooked! I was checking out some of them in my area and it said to go through the cemetary and follow the trail to the left. Under the coded hints it said the cache was "under something dead of the trail leading to the waterfall. Make sure you visit the falls before you leave!" This sounds like a lot of fun. I think I'm going to call my Dad and cancel the birthday gift I asked for and switch it to a GPS!! Cool, thanks for telling me about this. It sounds so very, very fun, and childlike!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I never heard of that before. I checked my zip code are there are a lot of hidden caches in parks that I regularly go to. Interesting!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what is really nice about it, some states have there own website like my state...In our website it will tell you where you can go for day trips...pack a picnic and spend the day and no money, in a lovely park or on route somewhere....We have taken granddchilren out with us and they are just thrilled to find a cache to get something...they pick something out of one and trade it in at the next...lol. The exersize benefit is amazing...
    We have lived in this state most of our lives and we have seen more of it this past two months than we have seen in thirty years

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 05, 2006 04:24 PM: Message edited by: marymax ]</font>