Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Since I'm an 'older' fan and this seems to be a place for older fans (either grew up with AG or Daughters have them), I'm always interested in the stories of how you got into American Girl.

I, personally, was introduced by a friend. My best friend during most of my childhood had a Molly doll when we were in 5th grade. I'm sure she had it before, but that's when we really started hanging out and I used to go to her house all the time. I saw all the cool stuff the doll had and that it was related to history. When I was young, I was a huge history buff, so this was right up my alley. I told my mom I wanted a Molly (though Samantha looked more like me, she was to froo-froo for my tastes), but since I was never a doll kind of girl my mom said I had to save up the money to buy her myself. Between Christmas and babysitting, I managed to save up $84 by my birthday in May...and much to my surprise, one of my presents was Molly! I read all of Molly's books and collected as much of her stuff over the next couple years. I always admired some outfits from other dolls, but never asked for them or read any of their books, I was (and still am) one who believed you shouldn't mix the time periods of the dolls. Several years later when I was in college, the interest rekindled and I fell for one of the newer dolls, Kit. Last fall when I started working at American Girl, I got Kit and then I also tried to read as many of the dolls' stories as possible. I found all the stories I read to be very enjoyable and now I can't wait until I have a daughter some day to share these great dolls and literature. My only dilemma is I don't know if I want to give up my two dolls - hee hee. I'll definitely make my daughter save the money for the doll she wants (if it happens to be one of mine, she can have it, if not I'll get her her own), I think she'll appreciate the doll more and be less likely to ruin it.

Now that's my story...
    What's yours?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font face="Comic Sans MS">When I was in 4th grade last year, I went over my friend's house and she had Kailey and an American Girl Today doll, I was never really into dolls so my mom was like why are you suddenly getting into American Girl Dolls, My friend also had The retired Coconut's Stationary set and I really am into stationary and Dogs so I loved it. When I went to the website Americangirlstore.com I really badly wanted Kailey. I told my dad I wanted her and he said if you clean your room we will go down tomorrow to the store and buy her. I was so excited! When I got to the store I got Kailey, the Retired Glitter Jeans Outfit, The hreat print Pajamas, Coconut, The Coconut statationary set, and The retired heart trundle bed and sheet set.</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That sounds awesome taht you work for AG!

About 15 years ago, my mom received a catalouge in the mail, and I was so intrigued with the dolls, but nothing ever came from that, then. Five years later(or 10 years ago) I noticed that a bunch of my friends at church had these dolls and would bring them to church. Somehow I convinced my parents that I really wanted a doll, so for Christmas I got my Girl of Today doll(this was the first year they had been out) and a few things, and the next day(my birthday) I got some more things, haha. Though I usually only got new AG things for Christmas and my birthday. I rarely got anything throughout the year.
    Now that I'm older, I'm hoping that will change. Hehe.

Ashley1972

Growing up and as an adult I have always loved and collected dolls. I learned about american girl dolls from a friend at work who was poring over a catalog. I looked at the catalog and admired the dolls but I couldn't justify spending so much money so I dismissed them. Months later I found a bitty baby for a low price and my girls started going to our local bookstore for american girl book meetings. It was there that I saw the dolls up close for the first time and I was hooked. I saved up money and bought second-hand dolls from ebay for my girls and eventually Molly and Samantha for myself. Now here I am addicted! [img]smile.gif[/img]

GreyMyst

I checked out Kirsten's books from the library summer '87 and sent in the card in the back. I didn't actaully get one of the real dolls till about 8 years later though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We receieved the very first catalog in the mail and my mom showed it to me because she knew I loved dolls and books and history. I fell in love with Kirsten's pretty smiling face and asked if I could have her. My parents said "save your money!" That was a lot of money for a 9 year old, so I appealed to Santa Claus and he came through for me! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom received a catalogue in the mail around 1992, when I was just 3, and I fell in love with the blonde Our New Baby. I knew that she was "my baby," and on that very Christmas, Santa brought me my Sarah Elizabeth.

As I got older, I began to fall in love with Molly and Samantha. My friend had Samantha, who she was more interested in than her baby doll, so I appealed to my mom for Molly. My mom told me to read the books first, and then I could get Molly. So in July of 1996, when I was 7 1/2, I received Molly....not knowing that more dolls would keep on coming later!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Right around Christmastime when I was six turning seven i got an American Girl catalogue in the mail and my mom showed the catalogue to me. I told my mom I really wanted Molly for my seventh Birthday and I got her! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Inactive Member MareGathersWords's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My first involvement started in about '89 to '90, when I went over to a friend's house for a birthday party. She had Samantha and Kirsten, and I was in love with them even though I had never been into dolls before. Somehow my mother got the catalouge and I started reading the books. I ended up with Molly in May of 1991, and she's been my dear friend ever since, enough though there was a dark period she was exiled to the basement with the toys I was "too old for" but wanted to save if I ever had kids. My My Little Ponies, Breyers and Beanie Babies did not survive this and I'm still on the mission to rebuy all the ones I sold.

So after I started pony collecting again at 21 I lightened up alot about having to be "so mature" and in Nov of 04 an AG catalouge came to our house, though I haven't gotten ones for years before then. I was entranced, paritculalry by Kaya's collection (who I oddly enough don't have yet, lol) and ended up on the site. I saw the only other doll I ever wanted, Felicity, and I had to have her. That Christmas my Mom got me Kit and Marisol and Kirsten followed, with Nellie coming on my birthday this year. We've went from one doll to six in about six months, lol. I plan on buying the rest of the historcials and friends, and AGT 3 and 4. (Because I want an Asian AG and I wanted a 18 inch Neela)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Back in 1993, my older cousin brought her Kirsten down from Oregon for Christmas. Soon after that, my sister received two of the books for her birthday and I *had* to send away for a catalogue. I fell in love with Felicity and used to play tea party with the life-size photo of her in the catalogue. I received her for my tenth birthday, and have cherished her ever since.

Around the time of Felicity's banishment from the catalogue, I started going through my own "dark years," and Felicity spent some time in the closet boxed up. My interest was rekindled last fall when I received a catalogue and saw all the new things they had introduced. Then I found this board, and am now more completely obsessed than ever! [img]wink.gif[/img]

- Becca

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast