Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would a (almost) four year old be better with AG or Hopscotch HIll?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree that it depends on the child. My daughter asked for her 18" "Big Girl Doll" when she was 4 1/2. After having baby dolls she wanted a big girl doll like her. So we told her that she had to earn it. And for 6 months she was so focused. We gave her little jobs and she had to behave and clean up her toys. We had the same deal for the boys but they had picked out some trucks at Walmart that they wanted. By the end of the 6 months Taylor was still wanting that doll and working for it. The boys had changed thier mind at least 10 times and ended up not really wanting anything.

So when we were in Chicago with my husband on a weekend business trip I took her to the AG Place to pick out a doll. This was just after her 5th birthday. That was her first trip to the AG Place Chicago and she has been there 2 more times since. I can remember how proud she was of her doll and how she told the boys that she was a special doll that they couldn't play with, because she was expensive.

So, I know that at 5 she was ready and has done very well with her dolls. So, you have to judge the child.

kykate

My 4 year old has two of the HH dolls. She enjoys them and knows that they are AG dolls. The one she takes to play with her older sisters is a New Generation doll I picked up at a yard sale. She wears AG clothes and DD thinks she's a real AG doll. Good thing is I don't have to worry about paying for a head replacement after she realizes at age 7 that her doll's hair is nasty!

I gave my oldest Lyndsey at age 6 and my middle girl Kirsten at age 6. I think that even that was a bit young for the quality that makes up these dolls.

That's just my opinion...but since I have 3 girls I have to make decisions that will ensure things last a long time.

I think the HH dolls are really cute. The best thing is the Rainbow Activity Board. Bought that because of a HB member rave reviews. The problem is they are not popular and rarely recognized by others.

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 3 HH dolls for my almost 4 year old DD--Skylar, Hallie and Gwen--and although she likes them, she doesn't play with them nearly as much as with the 18in dolls we are "sharing" right now.

The HH dolls are cute to me, but my DD was initially a bit scared of them too, maybe because of the painted on eyes? Or the jointed limbs being kind of floppy? Who knows? I got them for her because I was worried the 18in dolls might be too much responsibility for her to handle. Well, she did decide she likes the HH's, and Hallie is her favorite. But we tend to play much more with all the accessories than the dolls themselves, which makes me glad we got them on sale. I totally agree the Activity Board and Flowerpot desks are adorable and inspire much imaginative play! They also work for the 18in dolls too. See my Back to School Album for an example! Razzi Rabbit is also a huge favorite at our house too.

If you decide to get an 18in doll, I'd go for one with shorter hair--we've got Kit and now Nellie for this exact reason. Their hair is very managable for the very young. I will say that I play with my DD with the 18in dolls and don't let her have small or fragile accessory items to play with. The HH dolls I think are completely safe for less closely supervised play.

Also, I cannot say enough wonderful things about the now retired Angelina Ballerina items. All on ebay but all just darling! My DD plays with her Angelina stuff literally every day--a wonderful investment, since we got much of it on ebay.

Please let me know if you need more information on the HH's.

HTH [img]smile.gif[/img] Katie

Hi Again!--I continued to think about your question after I posted last night and I wanted to add that the HH books are very good. My DD has enjoyed hearing the stories, especially since she is now attending preschool and can start to see what school is all about.

I also think that the size of the HH dolls is great for little ones, they are quite slender and easy to pick up, dress etc. My DD prefers to have help to dress the 18in dolls and really likes talking to them or having me help to hold them during her imaginative play.

Finally, the HH dolls do have the same fine quality of hair as the 18in dolls do. But the wigs are quite a bit thinner than the 18in dolls. I find that the HH dolls hair doesn't get messed up very often; maybe because we usually style it in a ponytail or pigtails.

Again, I HTH! Katie

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 24, 2006 03:57 PM: Message edited by: happyAGmommykatie ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks ladies - you are all truly awesome and I can certainly see it depends on the child. One reason I wanted the 18" was to use while reading "My First Little House" books, picture books based on the Little House series - she loves it and I can't tell you how thrilled I am, since they were my favorite growing up - my daughter's middle name is after Laura!

She is getting the Bitty twins for Christmas from Mom-Mom, but you ladies are getting me so excited for a doll to turn into Laura Ingalls - kept on the shelf (at least at this age) until I am reading or we play Laura together...

Still not sure about the HH girls!

Lisa

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My 4 year old twins love their bitty babies! In fact, they just sat them in my lap!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12