Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You guys crack me up! The Josefina doll my daughter bought me off ebay (Well that I actually bought, handed off to my sister who then told my daughter she found for $20 so she could give it to me for my birthday~~long story) had both Josefina and girl spelled wrong in the title. I was so happy to finally win one and I wouldn't have found her had she not spelled the name wrong. I always check under mispelled names. I don't have much luck with Lindsey. I know there are other ways to spell it but I can't think of them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Although I totally agree with jerseycow6 and I cannot stand people who spell obvious things wrong (hello, ever heard of a dictionary? spell check? Anyone?), it can be very beneficial to a buyer if you know what to look for. I won a PM Kirsten doll (spelled Kristen) for pretty cheap because of that. But aside from scoring on ebay with misspellings, I despise it when people spell things incorrectly on school papers, ads, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "definitely" spelled "definately". ARG!

Sorry to be so anal, but I've always been a perfectionist when it came to spelling. When I was on yearbook staff in high school, my adviser (NOT advisor) called me the Spell Check Queen. Hehehe!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, now that we're on the matter of spelling things wrong...

Like others, it really, really bugs me to see people spelling the doll's names wrong.

There are people here who do it, too, though. It amazes me how anyone can spend $100 for a doll, and spell her name wrong. I'm surprised anyone could love AG enough to be on this board and still write "Josephina" or "Addie." I mean we all slip up sometimes, I know I've written Josephina once or twice when I was half asleep (but corrected it), but there are people here who have it wrong in their signatures. I guess this is just more proof that people don't read the books (or the website or catalogue when they order a doll).

And with ebay auctions, it amazes me that most of them sell the doll+meet book and spell the name wrong, it's right on the cover, people! I can understand if they don't have the book and seem to know very little about what they're selling, and just using their childhood memories. "Was it Kirsten? or Kristen? Well, I don't remember the stories at all, so, I'll go with Kristen." But you know some of them are looking at the site to figure out which doll it is, so spell it as it is on the site. You're going to get far more bids from people who just search for "American Girl Kirsten." I do agree with Skittl, though, I tend to search for "American Girl Addie" and there's almost always something. Normally just a book or two though (and there, again, it's right on the thing you're selling [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] ).

I simply cannot stand common words spelled wrong. I mean if you're writing a big word, and spell it wrong, that's ok. I know I do that sometimes because, for the most part, I spell everything right, and don't bother to spell check. But some people, obviously, don't care. It's like net speak to me. Most of us respect the other people on this board enough to at least try to spell correctly, but then there's a few people who use netspeak, or spell every third word wrong, or don't use any punctuation, and couldn't care less. It's just hard to read when people do that, and normally, I don't even try, [img]frown.gif[/img] .

Ugh. Sorry for the rant.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 01:01 PM: Message edited by: cami713 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Moooooooo!

Haha, I hadn't even thought of that when I wrote this. Yeah, I love cows.

And molly*belle717, I have to admit that "definitely" is one word I always have trouble remembering how to spell! But, yeah, my mother was a teacher, and I've always been really picky about spelling and grammar.
    I think the best funny example I saw of poorly-written signs this semester was an advertisement chalked onto a wall on campus. It said "Free Pita's at (can't remember location)." Well, someone else had come by with another color of chalk and written "Free lessons on apostrophe usage at any English class." It stayed up for about a month, too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Again, jerseycow, you started my day with a chuckle! Apostrophe use is one that gets to me, too. The whole your/you're thing, and the use, like you showed, with pita's! Just what exactly do those pita's own to make it a possessive use of the word?

Jo

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 05, 2006 09:17 AM: Message edited by: mykidsloveAG ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12