Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Bye, doll stuff (suggestions?)

thepidget

I am sorry you have having so much trouble with storage. It reminds me of when I used to live in the cramped college dorms. [img]confused.gif[/img]

For storage, I would recommend putting up lots of shelves. You can try free-standing shelves just as emsmombuysdolls suggested--that is a great idea. Having shelves directly above your desk would be good for housing your dolls, books, papers, etc. You can also try other kinds of storage furniture like tall bookcases, cabinets, dressers, plastic Sterilite drawers, etc. Even pretty hatboxes can double as decoration and storage. [img]wink.gif[/img]

If you are tight on cash, my favorite place to buy cheaper furniture is IKEA. Some of their items can be a little pricey, but they also have lots of cheap things and a big selection to choose from.

This might seem overwhelming right now--trying to re-organize your apartment and all--but even very small changes can make a big difference!

Good luck!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 15, 2006 12:18 AM: Message edited by: thepidget ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Boop0415:
    Hey don't pay a professional organizer, just watch HGTV, Mission Organization.
    After you have cleaned out some stuff reward yourself with some kind of small chest or shelf unit for your dollie stuff.
    If you can go to college you can certainly clean your apartment.
    I know you can do it yourself, keep the money for more important things, like "you". [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do watch that show every day and I even have the book, and a bunch of other organization books. As for the pro organizer, I'm not technically paying for it, someone else is helping me out with that. I couldn't afford to pay for one myself.

If I can muster up the courage(and clean up a little more) I might take some pics of my space, but I don't have the courage to do that quite yet. [img]redface.gif[/img] I don't even like the repair/maintenence guy to see my apartment.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 15, 2006 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by McMasters:
    All right, I've got the answer. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] Use McDonalds bathroom from now on and convert your current bathroom into a doll room!! Just kidding! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, go to IKEA! They have beds with storage space under the mattress. About 10 days ago we got a queen bed for DD room + mattress for about $400 and I love it ONLY because of the storage space under the mattress.
    The bad thing is the quality, I think IKEA has worse quality items than Wal-Mart.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Have you ever heard of http://flylady.net/ this is great. Maybe she can help you.
    I know I need to get better organized, so I know where you are comeing from. Only I don't live in a 12X16 space.
    Good luck and keep us posted, we want to see the "After" pictures of what you did with your dolls. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am certainly no organizational expert, but judging from your apartment layout, I agree that overhead shelving would help. Can you consolidate the TV-Computer area into some type of cabinetry? Have you looked at some of the units at Office Max or Staples, or even flea markets? The $600 dollars that the storage unit will cost/year may be avoided if you can consolidate efficiently and eliminate things that are truly not necessary. The inexpensive curtain tension rods are perfect for hanging doll clothes (I think they cost about 3 dollars). Also do you have any kind of storage currently above your toilet? They make cabinets for storage that are either wall mounted or on metal poles that are specifically for this. They have doors on them and therefore would keep your things clean also. Most importantly, take careful measurements first, and then take the tape measure with you when you go to the store. I hope some of these suggestions may be helpful.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pick two dolls and all their collections. Put one doll per shelve. Enjoy their collection and playing with them.

Put the other dolls either in storage or under the bed. (Remember there is lots of space under the bed.) Then rotate the dolls. So you spend quality time with each doll and can enjoy her collection.

You can get plastic shoe boxes that will fit under the bed at Target. They are great for storage of clothing and small items.

Oh, also if you make or get corner shelves you might be able to have a deeper shelve that would hold more. Just a thought.

[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can you put your bed up on a loft type platform and then have your Dolls get an "Apartment" underneath? You can build it up using crates

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123