Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Bye, doll stuff (suggestions?)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

I have no room to do anything with my dolls in this 16ft x 12ft studio apartment I live in, and now I'll probably have to put all my doll stuff in storage except for the dolls themselves. My storage space is about 5 miles away, and I will soon be having a pro organizer come in and help me because everything is such a mess and she'll probably make me get rid of stuff(I'll put the doll stuff in storage before she comes).

Anyways, all my doll clothes, furniture, accessories, everything except for the doll, whatever she is wearing, and the doll's doll and purse or bag will have to go to storage. The dolls sit on 2 shelves on my wall (see my avatar) . Everything is stored in a huge tub that has stuff on top of it so it's hard to get into anyways and that tub plus some overflow things will have to be relocated to storage. [img]frown.gif[/img]

this is the layout of my apartment(approx) looks like(sorry the image is so small I'm not having luck trying to make it bigger, I made it on Paint):
    apt blueprint
    Here's an imagestation link so you can see it bigger:
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2104197903

Does anyone have any suggestions? I could really use some ideas and suggestions here. I won't live here forever and I hope to set something up when I move but that won't be for at least another 3-5 years , until I finish school and get a full-time job. I can't afford to live anywhere else.

Thanks for letting me rant a little

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 14, 2006 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

emsmombuysdolls

Shelves, very hight, close to the ceiling running the length of your apartment. They can sit up there with all their belongings.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Go to IKEA and spend lots of time looking around at their awesome storage ideas. They often have a whole little studio apartment right in the store. Look at all your vertical space on the walls and up high. Lie on the floor and look up, look behind doors, up walls, under beds....!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] Definately take a trip to IKEA!!

Sorry you have to put your doll stuff away.... but at least you can keep your dolls themselves out!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Samantha is actually in storage as well as most of her clothes and things.

Do you have her in a storage unit?? Is it climate controlled?
    I know it is expensive but storing them somewhere where the temperatrue is regulated will keep them nice, and safe with no worry.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by MegadethLady:
    My Samantha is actually in storage as well as most of her clothes and things.

Do you have her in a storage unit?? Is it climate controlled?
    I know it is expensive but storing them somewhere where the temperatrue is regulated will keep them nice, and safe with no worry.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually yes it is indoors and climate controlled. I rent through U-Haul and even though it's the smallest space, I pay $50 a month. At Public Storage the same size is at least $65. And there is security entry too, and the spaces are under a motion detector alarm. I have a key card so I can go in when they're open.
    Oh, right now all my dolls and doll things are in my apartment. When the doll things go into storage all my dolls will stay with me in the apartment.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 14, 2006 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was just going to post that exact same thing. In a neighbors garage I looked in one day and thought how organized there garage appeared, but then up high they have a shelf all around all 3 walls full of nice neat boxes. What a great idea. I'm sorry your space is so small, it must be very expensive where you are living.
    Have you given any thought to that hanging storage caddy that AG has? You could put it behind your clothes in your closet, flat against the wall.
    Also could you use something like this?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0002AG5FC

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, Ikea is a good idea; the one near me, at least, actually shows layouts of tiny spaces with lots of room. They have some interesting cube-THINGs they often use to divide rooms, and you might be able to play with them to make them into nice storage places for doll stuff. I think they're the "EXPIDIT" at
    this page (the big size). If nothing else, check out the website, and dream of what could be. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Do you have any shelves/storage over your bed? I know, that's semi-dangerous, but you could definitely hang doll clothes there and if they did fall on you, no harm done to you or the items. If you set it up right, it might not even look hideous. [img]wink.gif[/img] Of course, IF you're ambitious you can get a loft bed. That's actually what I wanted to do, until I realized my bedroom was big enough without it.

Most importantly, don't panic! Surely you could at least find room for half a dozen outfits or more, as well as your dolls. Heck, I have six doll dresses just hanging in the end of my closet! If you have any spare clothes room you could even buy an AG storage caddy. It would be terrible if you had to put a lot of your AG stuff into storage, sure, but I don't see why you can't at least make space for a FEW things for them to change into. And rotate the clothes out monthly or whatever. Definitely not ideal, but don't get stuck with the idea that you'll ONLY be able to keep display stuff for your dolls; I think you can keep a few things for them around as well.

(If you are paying for an organizer, it might be a good idea to tell her that your dolls really are important to you. Yes, I'd be embarrassed to do so myself, so I'm sure you would be too. But you're trying to get ideas of what to do with YOUR stuff. If you just wanted advice on how to organize ANY small room, you could just watch TV.)

Best of luck to you! I've always thought it would be a nifty challenge to live in such a tiny space, but I quickly realize how much I'd really really miss my things!

(EDIT to try to shorten the URL and keep the board from "breaking" [img]redface.gif[/img] )

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 14, 2006 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

McMasters

Do you have a TV? CD player? You could get a long TV stand type thingy with baskets underneath it. I can't think how to say it! Like something 4 feet long, put your TV, CD player, etc. on top then have shelves with pull out baskets for your stuff. Or since you're still going to college, how about a loft? Sleep up top and have your table or doll things under? Or even better! Put your dolls away while your organizer is there, then bust them out when she's done!! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Boop0415:
    I was just going to post that exact same thing. In a neighbors garage I looked in one day and thought how organized there garage appeared, but then up high they have a shelf all around all 3 walls full of nice neat boxes. What a great idea. I'm sorry your space is so small, it must be very expensive where you are living.
    Have you given any thought to that hanging storage caddy that AG has? You could put it behind your clothes in your closet, flat against the wall.
    Also could you use something like this?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0002AG5FC
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually it's not, that's why I'm living here. The area is expensive to live in but this building is spefically for people who don't have much money. I have very little money because I'm going to college and every other apartment, even the other studios, are more expensive than this one is. Plus the neighborhood is very nice and I'm near the beach. The building has an elevator and a nice sitting room so when people visit they don't have to see my actual living space. But this situation is only temp and I know I'll be able to move eventually.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 14, 2006 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

McMasters

Katie,

I just reread your original post. 16x12! My goodness!! You can scratch my suggestions! I don't know about you, but I won't even consider buying myself the expensive clothes my dolls get! How about letting then have one of your drawers?!? [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast