Thread: Reviews of Short Story Collections?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a couple of Borders gift cards and I was thinking about using them to buy the short story collections on line. I have the individual short stories for Kirsten, but over the past 14 months I have added 3 historicals to my collection: Samantha, Felicity, and Kit. I don't own any of the short stories for them, but have read some of them from the library.

I really want to get Kit's because of the new stories in her book. But can't decide if I should get Samantha's and Felicity's. Before I decide I was wondering if the short story collections were worth buying? Do the collections have the peak in the past and the craft sections?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to hear some reviews, too. I'm hoping to get the Story Collections and Short Story collections for each doll eventualy, if they are worth getting. =)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The short stories include the peek ino the past but not the crafts. [img]frown.gif[/img] I have Felicity's and it's a very cute book! Her new story is good too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I only have one SSCollection book, as that's all I've been able to find in stores. I'll probably be ordering a couple more on Amazon next week.

First off, the short stories are really nice, they're great for younger readers, or just as great for older readers who've read the other books, and need a 10 minute read. I have all of the old ones, but they really take up a lot of space on my 2 shelves I have devoted to AG.

The Collection book I have is Felicity's. The new story is very weird, and I much prefer most of the older ones of hers. However, the new collections take up about as much shelf space as 2 and a half of the older ones. I'm really looking forward to reading the new Kit and Kaya books, and getting all of the others eventually.

And at $13 (or closer to $10 on Amazon), as opposed to 4-5 each, times 5, for 5 of the historicals, and then 4,2, and 1 for F-Ki-Ka, ....the Collections are a nice price. Still not very nice when you think about the fact that there are 8 historicals.

I definitely recommend the short stories in any form. I'm so happy the new collections have kept the peek into the past sections, and personally, I'm not lamenting the loss of the crafts. The stories are mostly sweet little additions to the full story sets, and are definitely worth the read. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

DD bought Felicity's SS collection as well as Kit's. Both books are great little HB w/ attached ribbon bookmarks. They are really great to add to a collection & have good stories that give you further insight into the characters. The Kit book is a must have for any Kit collection.

****CAUTION....book synopses to follow; may be spoilers*********

Kit's new stories:

Kit Uses Her Head
    "When Kit, Ruthie, and Stirling come down with scarlet fever, the three friends are quarantined together for six long weeks. They're soon bored with staying in their sickroom....until Kit comes up with a fun way to pass the time." This was a really cute story & my DD's fave of the new ones. A new character is introduced & reminds me of Uncle Hendrick.

Kit's Winning Ways
    "Kit's confidence is wobbly when she agrees to enter a tennis tournament with Ruthie. When rotten Roger's teasing makes her play badly, Kit's brother Charlie has to help Kit find some winning ways." Another good story with a very good ending. All the points are driven home really well. The scooter is explained in this story, but I'm not sure I like it. No mention was made of the wagon.

Kit And Millie Ride Again
    "A visit to Aunt Millie's home in the hills of Kentucky show Kit how hard people's lives are because of the Depression. But Kit is determined to find a way to deliver a little bit of happiness." This is my favorite. It's different having Kit in rural Kentucky...in a good way. The "Waste-Not, Want Not Almanac" makes another appearance & is tied into the story beautifully.

I am impressed with the Looking back sections & how well Valerie Tripp does her research when writing her stories. I can't wait for the Kit movie!

Bren [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

P.S. I have not read Felicity's new SS, but DD9 did & thought it was funny.

Inactive Member american_girl_forever's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cami, what is Felicity's new story about?