Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm... But where will you put six bunk beds?

Are you very handy?

I have an idea. Perhaps you can buy a build-it-yourself shelf of the right width, along with enough shelves so each girl has a "bunk." Then, buy some 1 x 4" wood and cut it to the same width as the bookshelf (you can even have them do this for you at Lowes or Home Depot). After building the shelf, use the 1x4" and use it to make bed rails so it looks less like a shelf and more like a bunk bed. Add a pretend ladder, some bedding, and, ta-da! You have a very tall doll bunkbeds for all of your dolls! Plus, it doesn't take up as much space as all of the AG ones.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like that idea!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow - I love that! And I think I'm going to talk DH into tackling that...I can make bedding for each girl, and for the historicals it could fit her era - I like this! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 04, 2005 07:26 AM: Message edited by: mollymom ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My dad built a bunk bed for each of my DD's 2 dolls. I just have one reminder- make sure there's enough clearance room for the dolls to sit up and not bang their heads. The first set my Dad made was actually for baby dolls, and then when DD wanted to start using it for her AG dolls, he needed to modify it, so they could sit.

Evette

Lightbulb

A set of bookcase bunkbeds! I like this idea and thank you! Actually thanks to all who responded.

Now if I can get DH to built it. I want a Doll Room too!

Evette
    I have 11 AG daughters and lately it has been bothering me that they have no place to sleep, Where am I going to put beds for 11 girls! I have been looking at the AGT yellow bunk bed. There are about 5-6 of them up for sale on Ebay. Does anyone remember what they originally sold for? The bids on the Ebay beds are from 15-$20 and all the listing have the mattresses, some have sleeping bags.

What do you think regarding FMV of these beds? Please advice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yay - I'm so happy people like my idea! I would looove to see pictures of what people have come up with, both using the bookshelf idea and otherwise! (Like Sakurako's set up would be fun to see). Right now my dolls are "at home," but when I have my own house, I'm planning on having my office also serve as a place to house my toy collection - including my AG stuff. So I'm always looking for practical display ideas.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I donated the yellow bunkbeds to a Sam's Ice Cream Social many years ago because I didn't like them. They're sort of heavy, clunky and -I would think - uncomfortable because the mattress is really thin and the metal supports underneath are like fat wire.

My solution for bedding down a lot of dolls is similar to the one described above but I used stackable rectangular parsons tables as the support system and then balanced doll beds on each shelf of the 5 shelf system. I already had lots of doll beds that were taking up space on the floor, so this let me sleep 5 dolls in the space normally used by 1!

If you don't have a husband and aren't handy, check out the local unfinished wood furniture store. Like everyone else, they've hopped on the 18-inch doll bandwagon. I bought 4 cradles which were a nice roomy fit for my AGs and knocked the rockers off with a hammer. They were only stapled on. That gave me nice flat doll beds that fit into a second set of parson table stacked shelves.

If you look for bunk beds, be aware that the doll in the lower bunk is really hard to get in and out!

For those who kept their doll boxes, a box bottom with a folded hand towel in it makes an OK bed. When I box up the AGs who aren't currently active, I like to put a towel below them with a slightly rolled end for a pillow and another towel on top.

Also, if your AGs are lazy and stay in bed for a long time, you might want to cover their faces and hair with a nice clean handkerchief to keep the dust off. I bought a bunch of pretty lace edged hankies from ebay and my girls don't mind sleeping under them at all. The hankie also protects their skin from the ravages of sunlight!