Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was looking through a doll repair Web site today, and so many other kinds of dolls were referenced. I've also seen them mentioned here, as well: Gotz, My Twinn, Madame Alexander, Faithful Friends, Life of Faith, Engel Puppen, etc.

My head is spinning! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I was just wondering which other "series" (or whatever you would say) of dolls you collect. If you could post photos and feedback, I would really appreciate it. I would love more information to expand my doll world (which "series" are retired or where to buy them, how well-made, the accessories, the expense, oh, just everything!). [img]wink.gif[/img]

You're all very helpful and will surely educate me quickly!

Erin

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 22, 2006 08:36 PM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, one more question: Do any of you subscribe to doll magazines? Any suggestions?

Thanks again. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Erin

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Erin,

I've been an avid Madame Alexander doll collector since I got my first two dolls on a family vacation to Disneyworld when I was 9 years old. My first two were Meg from Little Women and Miss Sweden from the Countries series. This was back in 1981.

The price of Madames has risen over the years, but recently, thanks to the power of competitive pricing via the internet, I've found some really good deals on Madames. There are several wonderful guides to collecting Madames as well as the history of the company, which has been located in Harlem, NY, continuously, if I'm not mistaken, since the company was started by Madame herself.

I will gladly take some pictures of my Madames for you in the next few days. I do love them very much, but the only negative aspect to them is that they really are more for display than play. But they are extremely cute and may hopefully have some increase in value over the years!

I'll put an album together for you, ok?

[img]smile.gif[/img] Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I collect 8" Madmame Alexanders Around the World and Storybook. I also have a Gotz Little Sister (see sig picture) and two Engel Puppens- a girl and a boy. I highly recommend Gotz (older versions) and Engels. They are superb quality!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much! I went to the Gotz and Madame Alexander Web sites and found out that there are a ton of dealers near me. I might go check some out tomorrow.

I would love to see photos, Katie! Thank you.

Anyone else have feedback, photos, or doll magazine recommendations?

Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have, aside from AG:

2 Heidi Ott Faithful Friends
    2 Gotz Little Sisters
    2 Life of Faith dolls
    2 Carpatina dolls
    2 Stardust Classic Just Pretend dolls
    3 other Just Pretend dolls
    2 Magic Attic Club dolls
    3 Tonner Penney and Friends dolls
    1 Living Dead Doll

I love them all, except I have some bonding issues with Ana Ming (Carpatina) so I will probably sell her soon.

I plan to add some Tonner 16" fashion dolls- just took a look and some are gorgeous. Other plans include some Kish dolls (aside from the two GOML that are on their way) and maybe one or both of the West Coast Kids.

I will update my website soon (a few weeks) and have other types of dolls on there with lots of pictures, close-ups, and my thoughts. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But so far I've been really impressed with all of them. Among my favorites are Laurel from the Stardust Classic series and the Penney and Friends dolls, but they are all retired.

If I had oodles of cash, I'd get some ball-jointed dolls- I especially like some of the Elf dolls.

Forgot to add- Maria's Just Magic! site has excellent pictures, information, and reviews on most 18" vinyl play dolls:
    http://www.justmagicdolls.com/meet/MeetTheDolls.htm

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ October 22, 2006 10:34 PM: Message edited by: horsemom ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 22, 2006 10:36 PM: Message edited by: horsemom ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AG, Gotz, Berenguer, Sophia, Zapf, Corolle, Cathy Collection, Chatty Cathy, Maplelea, Apple Valley, Engel, Liberty Landing, Collector's Lane, Tolly, FAO Schwartz, Springfield, Playhouse, Diana's Treasures, Heidi Ott and GIGO. I have at least one from each of these doll lines. Pictures of them are in my Doll Mugshots album.

The critical feature of all my dolls is that they can wear the same size clothes. No 18" slim dolls for me...

Taffy