Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it hard to get a job at AGP??

Dancin'4'AG
    Does anyone know if its hard to get on at any of the AGPs including AGPLA? I would love to work at AGP!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do not know anything particular, but I imagine that they have a large pool of applicants to choose from, and that it would be very difficult to get a job there if you are not highly skilled in retail.

But it never hurts to try [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You need to be over 18 to work for AG. Dancing 4 AG, do you live close by an AGP? if so, then try. Companies also hire when the applicant knows the product!

I was the top Cast Member in NYS for 3 yrs straight while working for Disney. Believe it or not, people still talk about me. I left a huge impression. I ran into a person who had transfered to our store as a regular and now is a manager, she told me how she heard so many stories about me and my selling skills. [img]tongue.gif[/img] And the other day I had my ex manager tell me she had several customers asking for me to help them! And I have not been in the company for 3 yrs now. I knew the products so well, the information was on my side. I could and still can tell you what the prices was on each item, sale or regular. What Disney pins were out or coming out (Disney pins are a huge seller for Disney) and if we did not have the item the guest requested, I knew where to find it and how much it was. I had managers come to me to get information! it was so thrilling! My nickname at the store was Encyclopedia Disney or DisneyRia. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Good luck. Apply to AGP and see what happens. At least you gave it a try and that is all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ria- I am so jealous you were able to work for Disney.
    I interviewed for their college intern program for 3 years and was unable to get a position. (Not suprising, it is extremely competitive- I did get a 2nd interview one year.)

The summer of my junior year at my sister's wedding I found out that my cousin's partner was the head of the program! He offered me an interview and (more or less) a spot. By then I couldn't take it.

What a cool experience! I wish I could have done it.
    It seems like you have done so many cool things.

Working for AG would be tough, I think. The cities they are located in do not have a low cost of living and it would just be so tempting to spend the paycheck in the store. Even with a substantial discount, these things add up. Add in the cost of a commute (or else really high rent to live close) and unless they have incredibly high pay, there is not a lot of take home. I've learned a lot about the cost of going to work this past year. It takes me about $1.50 worth of gas to go to and from work each day. I eat out about 1 time a week, another $10. So working each week costs me about $20. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I live 5 miles from my office. I have a coworker with a 1-hour drive that she does in an SUV, she eats out daily, and has to put 3 kids into daycare. These things add up, and you have to take them into account when looking at what you will be paid to do the work. I've learned for some family's being a stay at home mom is more affordable then trying to find a job that pays enough to cover all the expenses of going to work.

Still, what great fun- and a good experience. If I was young I would want to apply.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Skittl1321:
    Ria- I am so jealous you were able to work for Disney.
    I interviewed for their college intern program for 3 years and was unable to get a position. (Not suprising, it is extremely competitive- I did get a 2nd interview one year.)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Trust me, not everything working for Disney was in the land of Magic, where tea pots moved and Mickey Mouse was running about. Many of us and I mean many of us began to hate Disney. Working for the company is so different than going to parks and having a good time. I still have my good memories but also have my bad ones. DisneyStores now are NOT owned by Disney, they are owned by Children's Place.
    [img]graemlins/gulp.gif[/img]
    If I worked now for the Store, I would not have my Disney Discount for the parks and admission for Free. That employee discount is gone.

I did go to work now for Disney World. And the only jobs open are the $6.80 an hr!!! That is Disney's based salary! If I worked for DW now, I would be getting only $800 a month and if I need $1,000 for rent, I cannot survive. So I rather go there twice a year and have fun, then working there.

Same goes with AGP, during the seasonal, it gets crazy. You have people coming to you, demanding a product which you do not have and then they yell.

Once in the Disney Store (after Xmas) retail *points down where the guy who lives with fire lives* we had people mob the place! I saw one of my coworkers getting cornered and I mean cornered by at least 20 people. The woman was up against the wall, and was turning pale! So what I did was, grab a HUGE Mickey Mouse, the 3 foot size, made my way through the crowd, grabbed my coworkers hand, and moved to the back area. The woman almost passed out. My manager said it was the funniest thing seeing Mickey go through the crown on a rescue mission.

I always try to remain happy, that is the Disney way, always with a smile, no matter what is inside of you.

One Christmas and I still remember this. It was near Christmas Eve, and the mall was packed. people were grumpy, running around last min to shop, buying ANYTHING they saw.. well, an old woman came up to me, and I jsut smiled a Hello, nothing more than that. And she grabbed my hand and said "You just made my day. Everyone else around the mall have been so grouchy to me." Well, she went in and almost bought half the store. But she was so happy and that was the important thing.

I would take a stuffed animal aka Disney Plush, and would hold it when I worked. I used to have the plush wave to people, coming and going through the corridors and also in the store as well. So many people got laughs, made my day.
    And that customer who I posted before who requested me had requested me as "That nice girl up in the front who held that blue thing" That Blue thing was Stitch. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And they can keep that base salary at 6.80 because people are fighting to get into those jobs even at that salary.

I know it's not magical, but I still think it would be a great experience. (Especially only as a summer intern...). But that's why I said if I was young I would apply to AG. I then realized how dumb that is, because I am young. But I think I was thinking more- if I was unmarried and didn't have financial obligations, I would apply to AG. But now it's not just me, and I can't take a job that is just for "fun" I need to look at jobs that will help me develop a career.

And I still think your stories are just great.

Quick edit- I just reread this and it kind of sounds like I am taking a stab at people who choose retail careers. If you also read it that way, that's not how I meant it. Just that I have not chosen retail as a career field, so even if they are fun jobs, I need to do something else now. (I have worked in retail, I admire the people who make a career out of it and do it well...)

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 30, 2005 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Skittl1321 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh I agree, the experience is great! you get to work with different people and meet so many as well. And the people that you do meet, they return to you again and again. I loved that.

If I lived closer to AG, I would go work there as well. Just for the fun of it. But live 1.5 hrs with train away and to walk 20 blocks to go to the store. It is silly to do that and work for only 4 hrs for the day. it is kind of working for the train ticket fee really for me.

Janie3082

Ria, your stories are cracking me up! Mickey Mouse on the rescue was the best!

I work in retail and I know how crazy it can get sometimes! Especially at Christmas!

Thanks for helping me start my day off with a good laugh! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Retail is tough work. I worked for Clarins, which is a cosmetic company after I got out of college. I made slightly more than min. wage + a 3% commission. It blew my mind that people could make ends meet doing that their whole life.

I enjoyed retail, though - it's fun to interact with people and help them determine exactly what they need.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by tngirl03:
    Ria, your stories are cracking me up! Mickey Mouse on the rescue was the best!

I work in retail and I know how crazy it can get sometimes! Especially at Christmas!

Thanks for helping me start my day off with a good laugh! [img]wink.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh, I got some loo loo ones!!

One time I caught a womand her DH stealing from the store, she had put several items in a bag, and she had the kids as her cover. I SAW the DH try to put a $80 Snowglobe in the bag, I went upto him and said, "Oh sorry someone put this in the wrong area" took it and put it where it belonged. I "passworded" the manager that there was something up, she came too and we did a "follow" which is something we are trained to do. Well, the woman got mad, and hit ME on the head with the bag! with a big wham!!! and stormed out. Security was there, and caught her. In 15 mins she was in the store, she had taken over $500 worth of items. My head throbed for a bit, but was given a reward for her capture!! lol! Never cashed the reward...

I also had caught another "theif" as he tried to get away with 10 DVDs. I went upto him and said, "Hi, your kids love those movies don;t they!" His face went white, gave me the DVDs back and said, "Can you hold these, I will be back." Hehehe, he never did. I took the DVDs to manager and we saw that he had ripped all the alarm systems off. Another point to me!

But my capturing also took me to Disney World, mind you all I was on vacation! I was at World of Disney, I noticed that someone had "taken" about 20 or so shirts from a rack. Saw a manager that I knew close by, "YELLED" and we both ran out the door chasing the theif! and yes, he was caught by the manager and security.

Also, when cousin Effie and I went to DW for vacation, our room was lets say "Went through" and some money was taken. I called security right away. The proof was in my bag where somehow my wet shirt (splash mountain) was put in, with out me doing so! I had the shirt on the tub curtain rod, and found it in my bag!!! with the bag all upside down. Made a report, did not get the lost money back.. the theif turned out to be the maid, as several other items from our neighbors were also taken. Our next door neighbor had two good pillows from her taken, which she had brought with her. So the theif got caught.

Trouble and mystery follow me everywhere. lol!!! That is why some Nancy Drew people call me "Drew"

ok, no more stories.. lol!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast