Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hooray! The UPS man came! I'll do the best I can to give some reviews. My overall comment - you can definitely tell that Mattel is designing these as playthings for a younger girl.

Noah's Ark - I'm actually pretty happy with this - it seems nice and heavy, and at least the ramp is wood, and the rest is a good approximation of wood. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think my daughter will love this some day.

Elizabeth's nightgown - the ribbon on the cap is a little bigger than I would have expected, but it's a pretty nightgown. I love it! The little satin slippers are cute, but a little modern. I like Felicity's better.

Elizabeth's cape - nice, it has a hook/eye closure and a nice satin edging. Not extremely rich material, however, and it's unlined. It has a different hood/collar shape than Felicity's.

Elizabeth's ballgown - It's a very nice dress, and even though it's one piece, the overskirt is separate from the gown except at the back seam. Everything's attached, including the fichu. The choker is a piece of braid with a hook/eye closure. The shoes are a really shiny gold metallic material and are like houseshoes - no structure to them at all.

Tea Treats - I'm not sure I'm keeping this. The cooky ring looks like a big pinecone and has the consistency of a dog toy. It even squeaks a little when you press it. The fruits/treats are a little rubbery ring that is one piece. The metal stand is okay, but not very pretty. Durable - that's what I'd call it. The dishes are the same as the teaset - very thick and oversized for the doll. Meant for small hands to play with, I'm sure, but I was disappointed. The spoons don't match the old ones - I think they had a shell; these are plain. The flummery glasses are a very lightweight plastic. I don't care much for this set, but for little girls, it will be very durable for play.

Tea Set - see above - oversized and very thick. I think my small daughter could play with this easily and I wouldn't be at all worried she'd break it. It reminds me of her Madeline teaset. The silver tray has a small engraving in the middle but is plain otherwise. The wooden tea box is the same as the older set.

Elizabeth's tea dress - I like this. It's a polyester that's meant to look like a dupioni silk (sp?) The lace on the dress and cap match, and the fichu is separate and closes with a hook/eye. The flower on the fichu is a little blah - I may replace it. The shoes are a little modern to me; they are silky and have the "half heel" - if you know what I mean! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Felicity's tea dress - they sent it! I haven't tried it on my PM Felicity yet, but I like it. The material is nice and heavy, and a pretty color. It has nice lace/embroidery on it in my opinion. It has those same silky half-heel slippers, but these have a rosette. The hat is the same as the summer hat, with a lot more ribbons/rosettes on it. I really like it - I think her dress is a little fancier than Elizabeth's in this case, or maybe I just like it more.

Elizabeth's riding habit - I'm not sure about this one. I think the material is fine; it's sort of a thick wooly material. The overskirt and sleeveless top are one piece, and the underskirt and jacket are separate. The underskirt is a thin cotton and seems too insubstantial for a riding habit. It's almost like a slip. The jacket and overskirt are nice. The lace on the collar stands up kind of funny, but it might look nicer on the doll. The hat's feather and gold cord are a little puny; I may replace them. No shoes on this one.

Sorry for the long post! Overall I'm pleased, except for the treats/teaset. I like the old ones much, much better! Now if I could only find a small teapot to match the old tea lesson.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by kboyd912:
    The shoes are a little modern to me; they are silky and have the "half heel" - if you know what I mean! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are they the same style of heeled shoe as the ones that come with Nellie's Spring Party Dress and the ones that match Samantha's Lawn Party Dress? If so, they are absolutely adorable to look at, but I have never been able to get my girls to stand on their own while wearing them. [img]frown.gif[/img] Any tips?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ksami, the slippers in Elizabeth's tea lesson outfit are backless and flat, not kitten-heeled like Samantha's lawn party shoes. They are similar to Josefina's birthday slippers only pink.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I forgot to add that if you are a fan of "kitten-heeled" shoes like Samantha's, the new Gala party outfit has backless (but has an elastic to hold it in place) kitten-heeled satin shoes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks alot for the reviews!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm no shoe expert, kitten or otherwise. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But, the shoes for the dresses that I mentioned as half-heeled aren't exactly backless - the have a little bit of a back. They come up a little bit on the doll's back heel, and my Felicity will stand with them on - but they're a tight fit. They definitely are not like the shoes that come with Felicity's blue gown, however, if that helps.

Speaking of tight fits - my poor PM Felicity's arms are stuffed in all the sleeves like sausages! I've heard that the bodies of the PM dolls were chubbier, but not the arms. Is there really that much of a difference? My daughter is going to be frustrated trying to push on these clothes some day, I'm afraid.

Does anyone have a tape measure and Elizabeth's arms handy to do some comparisons?

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 06, 2005 11:20 PM: Message edited by: kboyd912 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The gold shoes that go with Elizabeth's ball gown look like the shoes that went with the Medieval Princess Halloween costume from a few years ago. They don't look very historical to me.

Thanks for the reviews. I am glad you like the Ark. I was worried from the earlier reports that it would be really plasticy but so far everyone that has gotten it seems to like it.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The online description says that it is wood, so maybe there is hope.
    Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL - the shoes for Elizabeth's ballgown do look like medieval princess shoes - or something that belongs with a harem outfit! They're kind of pointy in the toes! Felicity had a good laugh when she tried them on!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Chauster:
    I forgot to add that if you are a fan of "kitten-heeled" shoes like Samantha's, the new Gala party outfit has backless (but has an elastic to hold it in place) kitten-heeled satin shoes.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know, the Gala shoes are slingbacks! My favorites!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I'm not an AGT collector but I may just have to get that dress and those shoes. Beautiful!